How do I ease my one year old's stomach cramps.

My daughter has her first ear infection and was put on antibiotics. They are causing her sharp stomach pains and diarrhea. I called the pediatrician and asked what I can do to help ease the pain and all they told me was to give it to her on a full stomach. That's great but first off, she isn't hungry enough to eat a full meal so I had to sneak the meds in her yogurt. Second, she already has cramps and diarrhea so telling me how to avoid it isn't doing me any good here. Any suggestions from experienced moms?

Jodeye

Asked by Jodeye at 12:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Kids' Health

• my son has chronic constipation and always has tummy aches, sometimes a warm bath would help, I know the diarreha will be an issue, but maybe a warm towel on her tummy? really. there isn't much you can do, its like when you have a tummy ache except we know to lay down, they just know they hurt and want us to help. GL
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I agree with maxsmom a warm bath will loosen up the bowels! Also what I did was to lay them on their back and pump each leg up to their tummy then back down. I would do this for about ten minutes and it helped alot! Not only did it help to get the access gas out but it also helped the bowels to push down the movement. Hope it gets better! Nothing like an unhappy little one to hit the heart:( Hope this helps!
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• you might try the brats diet. its great for kiddos with diarea. if you havnt heard of it it is a diet of bananas, rice, apples, toast. these plus some pedialite for the loss of fluids usually helps alot.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Call ur drugest and let them no whats going on and they may be able to let u know what to do!
    Anonymous

• I'm surprised that they put her on oral antibiotics for an ear infection. Usually, ear drops is what is prescribed.

Can you ask the dr to switch the antiobiotic? It shouldn't cause so much intestinal discomfort. It could be too strong & killing off all the good bacteria.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:15 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Thanks all! After 2 trips to the ped and one trip to the emergency room, we've deduced it's a bad reaction to amox. He gave me zithromax to try starting today. No amox today and no stomach cramps. Thanks goodness because my poor baby needs some sleep.
    Jodeye

Answer by Jodeye at 4:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2010