Why wont my child talk?

My baby is 17 months old and all she can say is dada, mama, and baby. I've been working with her since she's 6 months or so, but that's all I get from her. Is there something I've been doing wrong? Or is she just going to talk when she feels like it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• does she try to say other things? any concern like that should be discussed with the pediatrition. my daughter wasnt taking at 21 months and i talked to the doctor who refered her to have a speach and developm,ent evaluation and she has been in speach therapy classes since and at 31/2 we are just starting to be able to understand her. good luck!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• She does talk. Mama, dada and baby are talking. She will come around. Try looking under common questions or using the search box. Many parents are concerned but, there isn't a real reason to be yet.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My son only had half words at this age he had a couple like yours too but about 19 months I think he decided to stop scaring the shit out of me and talking up a storm.. LOL!~~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My son is 18 months and is only saying quack and mmmmm for moo. We've had him evaluated for early intervention and because he is babbling a lot they think he's going to start talking any time now. They'll check back with us in 6 months. He's right on target with everything else.

Don't worry, she'll start talking soon enough!!
    Anonymous

• My son says, 'uh oh', 'bye-bye', 'dah-dah' and on ocassion, 'thank you' He's 19 months old.
    The nurse practitioner at his 18 month appointment said he was delayed. I think he's fine and will talk when he's ready. Our first son was talking very much at this age and now he doesn't stop talking!
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 12:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• If you have any concerns, please have her tested by early intervention in your area! If she's not delayed, then your fears will be put to rest; if she is delayed then you have an early jump on it and can get him caught up before he's very far behind. If they do identify a delay, then they will offer free or very low cost speech therapy (which at this age is more like play and she will enjoy it!). She may catch up on her own, but why take a chance?

Answer by missanc at 1:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Most children do not get there big word boom till after 2 yrs old. I would not worry yet. With my oldest it was not till she was 29 months and still saying the same 10 to 12 words that we got concerned. Just keep talking about what you are doing. What this and this is. Also keep on trying to encourage talking. Before you know it your child will be talking.

Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• at 16 months my dd only was saying "hi" and "ball" other than mama and dada. but she would babble alot (like she was having a convo hat we couldnt understand) at 18 months her vocabulary blew up. she just started saying everything basically overnight. now at 19 months she identifies most things with their name. and she can repeat just about any word. she also says 3-5 word sentences. so id give i a bit more time. and if yo dont see any progress in the next few months, maybe bring it up to your pediatrician. she is still young. i woulnt worry. and as long as she is saying some things... even if incorrectly... then she is talking. she just needs to refine and expand upon it, which will come with time.
    Anonymous

• I don't think you should be concerned. Just like everything else, children develop speech at different ages. My baby sister didn't talk until she was seemingly half grown. She didn't have to, because I, her big sister, told everybody what she wanted and what she needed. So, I now believe that it may even depend on their need to learn how to verbally express what they are thinking. Some children do it by pointing or grunting, but most eventually learn to use words. I'm an older mom and a grandmother, and I see a trend to expect more and more of children earlier and earlier in most areas, certainly not all areas. I'm a big believer in letting babies be babies and children be children. They will have to be adults for long enough.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My dd said "mama" "dada" and "ball" until the day she turned 19 mos! The said as long as she understood what I was saying here was no problem, just keep encouraging and they'll get it!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2010