My daughter thinks her BIG GIRL panties are supposed to be potty'd in...

So my daughter is being potty trained bare bottomed. We took her right out of diapers and put her into panties. She kept wetting the panties and only when we took her to the potty would she MAYBE then go. Now she is going all on her on, but of course we took away the panties and let her go bare bottomed. We put panties on her last night, not even 15 minutes later she wet them. They are big girl panties but she thinks they are pull ups. She has NO ACCIDENTS if barebottomed. She does alright if we are out somewhere, she'll let us know she has to potty for the most part. At night & during nap time we do put her in pull ups. She just turned 2 last month and we have been potty training for almost two weeks. We keep telling her they are big girl panties & 2 keep them dry but still she wets them and doesnt use the potty on her own. How do I introduce them yet not back track her wonderful progress? I want her 2 potty & wear panties

chloeannesmom08

Asked by chloeannesmom08 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would say go back to bare bottom and give her panties when she is old enough to understand she can't go potty in them.
    Anonymous

• i know it might sound silly but maybe let her wear boxers. they arent at all like pull ups.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I took my daughter to the Disney store and let her pick out any panties she wanted then explained to her that they are "Pretty Panties" , and every time she would have an accident I would throw her panties out. She did not like that and began to cherish the big girl panties and had way less accidents.
    Anonymous

• Right now we are keeping her barebottomed but am hoping that I am not making the mistake of not putting her back in her panties and forcing her to be potty trained like that. She is just doing so wonderful without them right now I would hate for her to stop using the potty all together. She goes on her own and if I were to put panties back on she won't. So I should just wait a little while before putting panties back on her? I would love for her to be able to do both but I guess I can take what I can get...LOL
    chloeannesmom08

Answer by chloeannesmom08 at 1:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Sounds like she's not ready. She's just 2.
    Anonymous

• But she is doing so wonderful without the diapers. She just gets hung up when it comes to wearing the panties. We let her pick out her own panties, she was so excited! Now its just the point of making sure she keeps them dry, to not use the potty in them.
    chloeannesmom08

Answer by chloeannesmom08 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• when my son did that. i got undies he really liked - spiderman, and if he wet himself/pooped in them... i would make him throw them away. he got pissed about throwing away things he valued and stopped doing it.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• She might be excited at the idea, but it sounds like her mind and body just aren't ready to cooperate. Give her another six months.
    Anonymous