how can i get my 17 month old to stop screaming

my 17 month old boy has a bad habbit of screaming..ive checked all the basics, reward the good ignore the bad... doesnt work. he will scream for an hour straight when he doesnt get his way

lizzie8368

Asked by lizzie8368 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• that's called "strong willed" I have one of those too !! Ignoring NEVER works with my son. I let him scream, let him know mommy does not need to listen to that, then get down to his level and we try to work on what's bugging him. I know its harder at 17 months cause they can't "reason" so much but he can bring you to what he wants or you can offer something else if you aren't willing to give him what he wants. GL mommy.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Well, if you aren't willing to negotiate or it's not something that is negotiable, then take him to his room, tell him he can scream in there as much as he likes, then close the door and walk away. That more than anything used to stop my "bull headed" boys in their tracks. They honestly didn't know what to think of it. Kinda like, "What? Mom is gonna LET me scream?" Then most of the time, they didn't want to scream anymore and forgot about what they were having a fit about in the first place. lol GL!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2010