How old is to old??

How old is to old to have another child in your own personal opinion? I just recently turned 25 and me and DH have 2 DD and someday would like to try for another one. But it just hit me today that we should get busy working on the in the next 2 years because if we wait until our early 30's (which is around the corner) We will be in our early 50's and still trying to get our last kid out of the house. So whats to old to you? Thanks!

AProsser

Asked by AProsser at 1:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm 37 and having my last child. For me personally, that's the limit. But I would say 40 in general.
    Anonymous

• 40 and up is too old.

Anonymous

• My husband was 36 when our son was born. I was 29. Besides colic, he's fine.. we've accepted that we will be older when he's a teen but we also feel we did the logical thing for us in lots of other ways that make up for that. Plus, you are only as old as you feel. My dad who is 57 still goes water skiing and barefoot skiing, worksout 4 times a week, rides bike etc.. you CAN keep up with them, even if age wise you are older.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Haha! I didn't have my first until I was 28 and I won't be working on my 2nd until I'm 30 (that's later this year LOL). So I think we probably have different ideas of "too old." My grandmother was 40 when my mother was born and she got out of the house just fine :). I'm more worried about having the energy to chase after the little ones than about getting them out of the house later, but I am not very long term oriented.

beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• for me? 28. :0) No really though. I would say. between 35-40 depending on the health of the couple.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• for me, 25-26...for others, i don't really mind, but i do notice when the parents have grey hair and the kids are young, i always hate trying to figure out if they are the parents or grandparents!
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I was 38 years old when my youngest was born. She's now 17 years old. I am having a blast with my kids - seeing them come into adulthood as old as I am now and not yet even be a grandma. A lot of women my age have a couple to a few grandchildren already. They have their grandchildren's lives to look forward to. I'm lucky too I have my kids' adulthood to look foward too and maybe someday grandchildren. Right now I have animal grandchildren and I love them too!!!!

I made sure to have my youngest daughter at a level 3 nicu hospital plus nearby was a children's hospital with even more specialized newborn critical care.

Whatever you decide, I suggest your interview your obs/midwives before signing on with any concerns you have to be addressed like you hope plus call labor/delivery too for more interviews if you deliver at a hospital.

lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I was 28 with my first and I probably won't be 33 until we have our second so I would say that our ideas of too old are a lot different. I guess our ideas of when to get started were a lot different also.
    mrsmendoza2006

Answer by mrsmendoza2006 at 1:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I personally believe that once you hit 30 you might want to stop. This is just my opinion though and not meant to offend anyone.
    Once a woman is in her 30's the risk of some birth defects starts to increase. I am generally pretty paranoid when it comes to pregnancy so I chose to have all mine early. But if I were to want another baby at 30 I would talk with my OB first and discuss the possibility of defects and so on.
    Also I wanted to be 'young' when my children were grown, you know, so I don't get confused with Grandma, lol! :-)
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 1:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• About 45. Many women in my family and my in-laws have had healthy children when they were older than 40. I wouldn't worry about it. If you are healthy and want a child, go for it.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2010