Got to thinking

Myself and my husband just became Christians about 6 months ago. I'm starting to hear a lot about divorce. We are both divorced and I've read areas myself that you aren't supposed to remarry. Is this the case? I'm a little worried about that. We also had our first child together out of wedlock. This is the most strong willed, hard child to raise for me. I'm wondering if this is Gods way of punishing me for that. My mom also got pregnant for her first child out of wedlock, married while pregnant, but that was her hardest child to raise too. Coincidence or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• God's plan for marriage is one man and one woman, until the death of one spouse. That is His design, yes, but He knew He was dealing with sinful people! :-) You and hubby are believers now and married to each other. God recognizes your marriage and now your responsibility is to be a wife and mother that honors God. Yes, divorce is a sin, but confess it and move on. It is in your past and does not affect your relationship to God today.
    As far as your child, we all have difficult kids! God promises to use everything in our lives to make us more like Christ. I think my kids are specially designed by God to do that very thing! :-) Now might it be because of sin? Maybe. I don't know the mind of God. I do know that He has a plan for everything. He has blessed you with a child, true a difficult one, but ALL children are a blessing from the Lord. Work on raising your child to love God and allow his stubborness to help you grow.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• coincidence, and don't let your negative thinking about the kid's conception affect how you raise him. imo it's really terrible to think of your child as a punishment from God
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Oh jeubs, you are creating your own problems with this way of thinking. I feel sorry for your child whom you are deeming a punishment in your own mind...
    Anonymous

• wow...see this is something that disturbs me about christianity. The fact that God is punishing you for something that happened before you were a christian? or at all? really? as for re-marrying if you are happy together and want to be married then why not?
    live your life- be and do the best you can and don't do it for God ...do it for YOU, for your KIDS. No one said kids were easy!
    hang in there
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• If Christianity is making you feel this way or the church you are going to, I would question why you find peace in believing this way? A "biblical" divorce is in the case of adultry only, so you shouldn't divorce unless this has happened according to the bible. I ask myself, "but what about abuse, or drug addictions?" There are plenty of good reasons to get a divorce and get remarried again. God does not see you as married once the state says you are. I can't imagine God thinks that way anyway. You are really married once you commit to one another. God is not going to punish you with a "bad child" because you weren't "legally" married. This is a totally twisted way of thinking.
    Anonymous

• I'm not saying he is a punishment to me himself, I'm saying his behavior. He is a very difficult child but I still love him to death. He is just a handful and very unruley no matter what I do. He's very loving at times and cares very much about his other siblings, but I just found it strange he is the only one of my children like this and the only one out of wedlock. I had him on purpose, he was no accident and I wouldn't take it back for anything, except maybe being married first. He is still a blessing to our family, but with his behavior and some health issues he's had, I just hope it's not punishment to me and the health issues was suffering for him too. I didn't mean it the way it may have sounded.
    Anonymous

• Jesus Krispies.

Did you feel that way BEFORE you became a christian? Or is suddenly everything in your life "wrong", now that you have discovered your new beliefs?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• OK, my son was conceived out of wedlock and while I would say he's a handful, stubborn child, he is also very sweet and loving. He listens most of the time and behaves himself at school. He starts acting bad when I slack off on discipline. My second child is the same way and he was conceived inside of wedlock. There is absolutely no correlation whatsoever!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• ok, i'll put it to you like this. if you recently became christians, you asked God to forgive you for all of the sins that you have done.... right? and you accepted Jesus with a clean heart...... right? and you got baptized and all that stuff...... right? so God forgave you. that's the end of the story. God is not like people and say they forgive you and are really holding a grudge. maybe you need to talk to you pastor or even switch churches bc you're not really grasping the concept of forgiveness
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• i totally agree with lowencope. and sweetheart why would you put yourself through becoming christian and all of a sudden everything that has happened in your life is wrong. i feel that believing in God and having spirituality is all everyone needs. Children are blessings any way they come. And if christianity doesnt praise that, why would you turn to that religion? God loves all of his children and you dont need a specific church to tell u he doesnt
    Anonymous