What percentage of your salary do you believe goes to the welfare system?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• 14.45%
    But that can change... Medicare & Social Security may or may not count, depending on your opinion.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• banging head into wall

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Between 20 and 25% goes to federal taxes, and another 6 - 7% goes to social security & medicare. I have no idea what portion goes specifically to welfare.
    Anonymous

• what? this again? are things around the news this slow? Come on now.
    Anonymous

• Crissy1213

OP here. Thank you for helping out with my paper.
    Anonymous

• Too much. I would be happy with paying what I do if the people who really need it were the ones who were actually getting it, but it seems that a lot of the time, people who really need public assistance only get a token amount. The ones who don't really need it, the lazy ones and the ones milking the system, are the ones who get more than they should. If the cheaters were off the rolls, the amount that everyone pays would be far less, or at least, even if it weren't, the ones who need it would get it without going through hell and humiliation to get food to put in their children's mouths.
    Anonymous

• More of my salary goes to medicare and SS than it does federal taxes.
    Anonymous

• If one person is abusing it, then that person is causing too much to come out.

How many abuse it?

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Federal welfare, I can't get a handle on, because things aren't reported correctly. Just over 14 percent goes to federal taxes, NOT including SS and medicare, and 10 percent goes to state taxes. Of the 10 percent that goes to state taxes, 23 percent goes to social programs or "welfare". So, just under 3 percent of my income goes to state welfare, and it is my best guess that federal welfare is going to be at least another 5 percent.

In total, my guess is about 8 percent of our of income goes to welfare.
    Anonymous