How sick to you get before YOU go to the doctor?

I take my daughter if she is sick basically at all, just to make sure things are fine (yes I'm a little crazy like that). I go to the doc once a year for a womans check up, but rarely get colds/flu/etc. but now that I'm sick I just keep putting off going in!Now my ears are ringing and I'm so exhausted I feel like I can't do anything! Obviously its time to make an appointment, but am I the only one who does this???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Health

• I go if I think it's something that won't go away without meds. But I also only take my kids for the same reason. We don't go a lot except for checkups for the kids.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 3:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I don't have insurance so I would have to be on the verge of death to find a place to go. This past winter, I had a horrible cough, didn't sleep for almost 3 weeks because of the coughing, my ribs were sore, my chest hurt and I was in a daze the whole time because of the lack of sleep. My throat hurt, my nose was stuffed and I couldn't breathe. But I never made it to the Dr.! I just stayed home and tried not to move for a couple of days, then I got better.
    I try not to take my kids unless they are very sick. The daycare made me take my son to the Dr. because he had "lime green mucas" coming out of his nose and they insisted he see the Dr. When SO told the Dr. why we were there he shook his head and said they were "wasting his time, our time, everybody's time!" He said daycare workers aren't Dr's and were just trying to cover their asses because of all the paranoid parents. I have to say I agreed with him!
    Anonymous

• The doctor gets paid to see you so I fail to see how checking a child out is "wasting" his time. That's a pretty poor attitude for a medical professional.
    Anonymous

• I go when I'm just shy of death's door. No, not that bad, but it takes a lot to get me in. Usually I have to be sick for awhile with something that just won't go away. I never saw the inside of a Dr.'s office until I was a teenager and had a horrible sore throat that wouldn't go away. They gave me ibuprofen and diagnosed me with a fancy word for "sore throat". I was a teen when I got my first shots for overseas travel. I was hospitalized 3 weeks with my pregnancy for something that turned out to be NOTHING. Ironically, I am a nurse and I know how much hogwash is involved in treating illness. I'm all about home remedies. My baby doesn't get childhood vaccines or do well-child visits, but I have a very good pediatrician to whom I have taken him a couple times for other things. I have experience with pediatric healthcare, and don't want a doctor telling me how to raise my child.
    Anonymous

• I live in Canada.  We go to our family doctor when ever we need to.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• You probably feel it's a cold , sinus or flu. These things has to leave us on their own. Doctors give us things to make up fell relieved, but there isn't anything medically to get rid of it.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 7:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2010