my 1 year old started hitting

so... my daughter started hitting... its driving me nuts.. before i had a baby i always said "MY KID WILL NEVER HIT!" and i thought that with just a no... she would stop.. boy was i wrong!!!!!!!! i have a public health nurse that comes ev ery other week and i asked her what to do and she said the time out... after the incodent happens you say "time out" you put them on you lap facing out and hold her for 60 seconds... my problem with that.... is that she doesnt really mind it and shes still hitting.. so now i give her the "look" and she hits me... then i say "no hit" and leave. is that ok, should i ignore it sometimes.. becaus i keep giving her attention she will probably feed off of it. im just confused!

daisybaby586

Asked by daisybaby586 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe make a point to tell her that it hurts. "ouch that hurt mommy, no no." Then do the time out thing. You have to stay consistent.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 3:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My daughter just turned 1 yr old...and she likes to swing her little hand out to hit too,lol. I just take her hand and have her gently touch whatever it is that she is hitting and I repeat over and over "nice touches,Aubrey". After that she will mimick what I am doing. And I know it is working because when she is about to strangle one of my kittens from across the room I say "Nice touches Aubrey!" and she'll drop it and start petting it nicely. Does it work EVERY time? NO,lol. But it does work. Good Luck! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2010