Any brilliant advice for a mother of a 5-month-old who constantly whines and cries if he's not being held or played with?

I'm giving him teething medicine (orajel and hyland tablets) which don't seem to make much difference. He's a 30-minute napper and seems overtired all the time. He hates tummy time, which makes playing with toys hard. He doesn't try to move himself around. Mostly he just wants to lay there and whine at me. Sometimes I spend a lot of time just being with him, but there are times I just need a break!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• thats terrible what a couple of moms said above, you are doing nothing wrong and for all those moms who think they have mothering down to a science are actually completly clue less, go with what you feel, and there is no such thing as spoiling a baby. We are all just guessing and everybody's advice is just theories and past experience that they also just guessed and it happened to work. I rocked my baby girl in my arms for a year for nap time and she is in happy and in her own crib now at the age of 2 and very independent. People like to make it out like they are best, you are doing great, stay positive and dont listen to negative feedback!! You will suceed and this to shall pass!!!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 5:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Welcome to motherhood.. everyone goes through this i think.. Mine hated tummy time but we got through it.. good luck..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My advice: hold and play with him.
    You will miss this time in a matter of months when your child will be on the move and not have enough time to hug you, let alone snuggle in your lap. He just wants his mommys love, especially if his little gums hurt.

If you absolutely cant handle it, moms and mother in laws can be a blessing!! Spend a day with friends while one of them watch baby. They probably will love it as much as you!

God Bless!
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• try giving him a bath that might calm him down and put him to sleep. As for the whining sorry I don't really know what to tell you. um you could get the corner of a wash cloth wet and put it in the freezer for a min and give it to him to suck on. That will help with his gums. try proping him up in the corner of the couch or chair. make sure you have plenty of pillows to hold him there. Maybe he is whiny b/c he is looking at the same stuff. this will give him a different veiw of the room. i would suggest taking him outside if it weren't to cold.This always worked for my son.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I'm going through it now. Mines almost 3 months. Oh boy oh boy I wish there were a mute button. We bought a swing, she doesn't even like much.

Sadly I think there's really nothing you can do, except, feed, change, and give some cuddles... after that let them whine for a min. and do it all over again.

Let me know if you find anything.. Beautiful motherhood.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Oh I'm with amber710 if you need a break have someone watch him while you take a shower that 15 min will help you relax.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• ear plugs or a cd head set for your ears and your sanity. I used to feel like I was wrapped in saran wrap my kids were so klingy.

baby's a baby he doesn't know how to do anything but occassional laughs and lots of cries.

Make sure your partner or someone else helps you out by giving you uninterrupted nightly time away from baby. You deserve it you're owed it. Get it.
    Anonymous

• mine were like that too. the op sayed it fine, your inlaws and friends can be a blessing when they hangout with you they can hold and play with the baby while you get done what you need to get done and give you a break.
    dkej242

Answer by dkej242 at 3:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Just know we have all been there. He is 5 months old and it's okay to lay him in his crib and let him whine for a little while so you can take a breather. And when you try for tummy-time, get down in front of him, on your tummy. It may make a difference if you are at his level, he sees your face close up and he can see that you are gonna stay there with him. GL. It gets better!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• A sling or a wrap is a life saver. Sometimes even just change of scenery -- putting baby on the bedroom floor instead of the same spot in the living room...for example...is enough to catch their interest. Once he gets stronger, he'll like belly time more, but it is a slow process. Funny thing, my baby will be fascinated with me folding clothes and as soon as I sit down fusses. What I find mundane she finds interesting!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2010