where can i take my kids for vacation?

we're taking them to disneyworld next year, and this year we decided we would take them on their first vacation EVER. and my kids are still pretty young but, we wanted to see how they would do on vacation. however the age groups are making it difficult. we have a daughter that is 6 and 2 sons who are 4 and 2 (almost 3). so we're wanting something inexpensive but fun for everyone in the family.

definedclefts

Asked by definedclefts at 3:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Travel

• Depends on how far ya wanna go and if ya wanna fly or drive. We've driven with our two boys when they were 6 and 2 from Dallas to Phoenix and they did great. It's just all about occupying their time in the car. (that was to visit family BTW and we still do it every year.)
    But you can find fun amusement or water parks, state parks with lakes(camping, fishing and swimming) or you could just pick a city not so far from home, you've always wanted to visit, and go there. Ahead of time, research what's there and what you can do and what would be fun for the kids.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My mom & I take all the kids on vacation every summer. This year we are going to the Nickelodeon Hotel in Orlando, FL. We have not gone there yet, but my cousin recently went with her family & they loved it. There is plenty of entertainment right there at the hotel, so no need to plan on additional attractions while on vacation.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Dollywood! we took our then 12 month old and 2yr old with us this past summer, and they had a blast. they have rides for all ages and some have no height requirements. we live a few hours away, and we're thinking of going again this summer, but making it a 4day thing. there are other things outside of dollywood that are fun too. there are tons to do in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, Tn.

http://www.mypigeonforge.com/template_busATT.aspx?f=134
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Seaworld. All of the kids would greatly enjoy that.
    Chicago - Shedd Aquarium, Science and Industry Museum, Field Museum, etc. Especially the Shedd, that would be a great place to take your kids! Heck, I can't wait to go to The Shedd myself. I love underwater sea life!! Haha
    Indianapolis has a Children's Museum.

Hmm .. A wildlife park maybe in Phoenix, San Diego, or somewhere of that sort. Where you can see the Animals up close. The kids would like that.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Well I read in the paper today that one of the whale trainers got killed by a whale at seaworld yesturday in front of the audience!! Now if you want to take your kids to see whales kill people go for it other then that I would go to that nickolodean hotel in Orlando Florida. We plan on taking our kids there next year
    Anonymous

• Chicago is a great place for a family vacation! You don't need a car; there are tons of free activities; and the weather doesn't always suck

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2010