Why does my dog bark at other dogs from my car's back seat?

This morning two dogs were barking. My dog whimpered to be let out. Then he joined the barking fest. Not too long, all the neighborhood dogs were barking. Then this afternoon, I drove by a man walking his dog while my dog was in the back seat. My dog started to bark like he wanted to attack.
Why must my dog bark at other dogs, especially when there is no chance that I will be stopping a car to let my dog out to teeth-greet the other dog?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Pets

• Dogs bark at each other.

Are you worried about aggression? If you dog is barking because he wants to pounce, learning the "watch" command will nip that in the bud. Watch is when you train the dog to look you in the face every time you say "watch." This is a great command for dogs who get focused or fixated on stupid stuff when they are out in public-- barking at other dogs, barking at children, squirrels, cars... dogs get stupid obsessions.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:46 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Because your dog doesn't have your brainpower to know that he's not going to be allowed to have meet and greets. You can say no firmly in the car over and over but each new sound and smell is a threat that his species wants to protect you from.

When my kids were little in carseats and as toddlers needing sleep in the car I wouldn't take my dog with me unless it was to the vet. It was just too loud.

The obsessions are stupid to us, I agree, but they're done by the dogs to let aggressors both animal and human know that you the owner are being protected, beware.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Our dogs do the same thing in the backyard. I think they just want the other dogs to know they are there. I'm more worried about our shepherd/husky going through the front window the next time he sees a cat outside.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 8:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• They just want to communicate w/ other dogs. He doesn't know you aren't going to let him out, so he has to be ready just incase this time you do.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• He could just be letting the other dogs know hey I am getting a free ride here look at me I am styling...lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• With the barking outside, he is just communicating w/the other dogs. My dogs do the same thing when other dogs in the neighborhood are barking. With the barking in the car, maybe he is trying to protect you/the car.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:05 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Just as you like to talk & communicate with other people, so do dogs. He's not just making noise, he's talking to others in his language.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:19 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• It's just his way of saying "Hey! Hey other dogs! What's going on!? I need to know!! Hey! Hey other dogs! This is my car! My people! You stay back!"
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 11:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2010