for moms with older toddlers...

do you spank when they become uncontrolable? i keep thinking back to my family saying "you used to get spanked when you misbehaved"..and i can't help but think that they are better ways to discipline..don't get me wrong, i believe in spanking just at an older age..my dd's is 20 months by the way...and we do softly hit her hand from time to time when she refuses to listen to us after puting her in time out for the same thing...so i just want to know if you spank your child and what for?..and please don't bash other people for the way the discipline their children..everyone's different and have different parenting styles.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 2 and I do spank him. Not often because most of the time he is well behaved. I would spank him for example:
    If I told him no and he started screaming, crying, and throwing things. I would first try to calm him down by talking to him. If he wont calm down then I would spank him. I know it doesn't hurt he has a diaper on, it gets his attention, and he does stop.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• i believe in spankings, and my parents werent spankers. it really is a matter of choice. my youngest son is 2 he'll be 3 in april, and he loves timeout and it obviously doesnt work for him because its like a treat. but i spank if its necessary because nothing else is working. i dont spank him everytime i get on to him but if im consistantly repeating myself and showing him and telling him why he cant do that, i pop him on the butt and put him in his room for 2 minutes. my peditrician said if timeout doesnt work, there is absolutely nothing wrong with busting bottoms. guess it really just depends on if they learn the lesson better. timeout works for my 4 yr old and my 6 yr old. just not my 2 yr old. consistency is the key though.
    definedclefts

Answer by definedclefts at 3:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I do think there are much better ways to discipline than spanking....at any age. THAT IS NOT TO SAY that I haven't ever lost my temper/patience and swatted my 2 1/2 year old! I often try redirection, warnings (including, "This is your last warning-then turning away while I let my child decide what she is going to do), then time out. I also try to teach my daughter about self control in general so that time out doesn't have to happen. My overall hope is that she learns right from wrong and her behavior reflects good decision making-not just doing or not doing things "because mommy said so." Like I said, a swat here or there I don't believe is going to wreck their whole self image, but I have gotten much further with gentleness, CONSISTENCY, and non physical consequences.
    kmseager

Answer by kmseager at 3:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I have actually given my 5-month-old a bop on the bottom to get his attention a few times. It's not hard enough to hurt, but it lets him know he's crossed the line (like when he's fighting me at nap time or at the breast). Sometimes it's just what he needs to snap him out of a tantrum and focus or fall asleep.
    Anonymous

• I do spank my son when he isn't listening but its after 1 warning and I tell him if he does it again momma will spank him. He usually listens when I say that now and will do something else but if he doesn't i am consistent and follow through with what I have told him. He is very well behaved for a 14 month old :) ( I have worked with lots of kiddos at daycare centers so I have seen it all)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I'll spank if need be, but she's two and has recieved no more than 10 from me her whole life! I haven't needed to spank her in easily 5 mos so just use your judgement
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• No.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2010