first night in toddler bed

any suggestions for first night in toddler bed?? my son will be using his new one tonight. should i keep his door shut, he has always slept with it shut before. what if he won't stay in it when i put him down. right now i lay him in his crib and he usually goes right to sleep. just a little nervous, any help would be great.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 4:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I put a toddler proof cover on the inside of his door knob so he doesn't roam the house at night. Also, keep the bed time routine the exact same so that the only thing new is the bed.

Good luck.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I just went through this with my dd a few weeks ago. When my hubs first put the bed up and got rid of the crib we made a big deal about the big kid bed. (but we never showed her how she could climb in and out herself) A few hours later when it was bedtime We went through our normal routine and just put her in like we would of done when she was in the crib. Of course she eventually figured out that she can get in and out of it but over all it wasnt bad. Dont forget to sneak in and take a picture of his first night in his big bed!
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I did this 4 months ago... I expected the worst cause my son fought me on sleep since birth.. I kept everything the same. same stuffed animals/blankets/door shut ( but I kept the monitor on again like when he was an infant so I could hear any movement. ) I was lucky that he didn't get out of bed, he just called for me to come to him - he still takes about 45 minutes each night to go to bed, but he stays in bed at least. If he gets out like my friends son ( 147 times the first night ) put him back, don't say anything past the first time you have to put him back, don't look at him or say anything. eventually he will get bored of the back to bed game.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• By now your son is hopefully asleep! however, may very sure you have fully baby proofed the room and put a knob protector on the door to make sure he stays in the room (the last thing you want is a toddler roaming the house). Our son was pretty good with the bed for the first week then realized he could get out. It was 6 weeks before we couldn't get him to stay put! Just be consistent about putting him right back into bed with limited interaction. Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2010