too much weight gain??

how much weight gain is too much?? im 26 weeks pregnant, and have gained 35 lbs so far. my doc just told me that i should try not to gain any weight before my next appt. she said i don't want to have a 10 lb baby. with my son, i gained 70 lbs which i though was a lot, but my doc then said it was okay. he was 9lbs3oz. i thought he was healthy. maybe im just emotional, but its really bothering me. i didn't think i should diet while pregnant.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 4:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• A woman of average weight before pregnancy should gain 25 to 35 pounds during pregnancy. Underweight women should gain 28-40 pounds during pregnancy. Overweight women may need to gain only 15-25 pounds during pregnancy. You may need to gain more or less weight, depending on what your doctor recommends.

In general, you should gain about 2 to 4 pounds during your first three months of pregnancy and 1 pound a week for the remainder of your pregnancy.

Of course, that all depends on your body - if you are exceptionally tall, you could probably gain up to 45 lbs. with no problem. It is not safe to diet while you are pregnant, but it is safe to make healthy food choices. Any extra weight will likely go to fat storage in your own body and put you at risk for heart disease, diabetes and some types of cancer. Don't be upset with your doctor. She has your best interest at heart.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• im expecting my first child and he is predicted to be 8lb plus.i think thats a good healthy weight.as long as your eating healthily and getting plentyu of excercise try not to focus too much on weight.doctors arnt always right
    mam2b

Answer by mam2b at 4:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2010