Does this scare you??

Approximately 20 million Americans are currently infected with HPV. Another 6 million people become newly infected each year. HPV is so common that at least 50% of sexually active men and women get it at some point in their lives.
Most men who get HPV (of any type) never develop any symptoms or health problems, but in women HPV can cause cervical cancer. These types can also cause other, less common but serious cancers, including cancers of the vulva, vagina, penis, and neck (tongue, tonsils and throat).
There is no general test for men or women to check one’s overall “HPV status,” nor is there an HPV test to find HPV on the genitals or in the mouth or throat.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Health

• No it does not surprise me. My sister, aunt, and best friend all have HPV. My sister has already had part of her cervix removed because of pre-cancerous cells and she is only 21 and contracted HPV in her mid teens. It is sad and i believe the public should be more informed about the dangers of this disease.
    Anonymous

• No, should it?
    Anonymous

• Doesn't scare me. I'm with DH only, and DH is only with me. I've got a friend who has HPV, so I know it's around.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 4:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Yeah, It's one of those hidden STD's you don't hear much about but is all over the place. I'm married too, but that doesn't mean my husband couldn't have contracted it before he met me or me catch it from someone before him...
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 4:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I thought it was an old wise tale. My grandmother ( when she was living) told me " the fast heart beat is that gal" She was right I had a girl. The slower beat was my boy. I am not sure. I listened to many of my grannys stories and she was always right.. but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 7:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2010