"Does pushing a stroller make you a lazy parent?" How old is too old?

According to a recent article I read in Urbanbaby, apparently, yes! Many responders thought 21/2-3 was a ridiculous age for a child still to be in a stroller, especially in urban areas and on public transit. My kid's 28 months old. I use a stroller, and have her walk when the situation allows. The prospect of having to schlepp her crying, exhausted tushie all over town, while toting a diaper bag etc. is wholly unappealing. Am I lazy? Discuss.

Ems629

Asked by Ems629 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think after the child is a certain age and still in a stroller then yes the parent is lazy.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Hell NO!!!! My child got tired WAY before I did. His little legs are shorter. He rode until kindergarten. He is 14 and still will sit in the buggy in the big part at Wal-Mart on occasion. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• for everyone it depends. . . if you are making the kid sit in the stroller because they will slow you down. . . yes, I think so. . . but my DD was in her stroller until she was 5, but that was also because she has hip problems and was having issues walking. . .I still made her walk on her own a lot too though. . .and I even am guilty of the lazies too. . .because I have to admit there were those times. . . But to each there own and it is your child. . .people can judge, but they don't know you or your kid. . .trust your gut! GL
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 4:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I think slings/wraps/carriers/etc should be used instead
    Anonymous

• What? Why would someone call a parent lazy for having an older child in a stroller. I think it's the opposite. It's great for babies when moms carry them in slings and carriers. As long as a kid fits in a stroller why not ride in it.

We live in Tucson and there are many Mexican or Mexican American families without cars. Moms and families take strollers and all their kids and wall to stores. Kids of all sizes ride in the strollers with groceries and stuff piled on. Sat. is a big day to see people on the sidewalks with their strollers going shoping.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:26 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• To ANON...yeah. I will get right on putting my 3, 4 or5 year old in a sling or wrap or carrier. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:26 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't call you lazy. Its more of a hassle for me to keep my kid in a stroller than to have him walk. Anyways I stopped using a stroller when he turned 15 months. Somewhere along there. If we go to a amusement park Ill take the stroller, we dont usually need it but sometimes ya do. For those who think that people pushing strollers are lazy parents, do you put your kid in a buggy when your shopping? Like grocery shopping? I do agree with the age though, I think 2 1/2 is pushing it.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 4:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My older two were out of a stroller and walking along side us holding our hand not too long after they started walking. Occasionally they would get to ride in the stroller if we went somewhere like the zoo or whatever, but even when we went to the mall they walked. They for sure never rode in the stroller past age 2.

I really try not to judge other parents when they push their child in a stroller. I'm sure others judged me when my obvious almost 2 year old was still in a stroller...only thing was that he wasn't walking yet. He had an inner ear problem and didn't have balance to walk until he had surgery to correct it. So, I try really really hard not to judge others...unless it's a 5 year old in a stroller which I have seen before! (And FYI, the kid could walk, he got up, walked around and got back in it.)
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 4:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• we got rid of the stroller when she turned 4, but until then it was convenient for long days at the mall - that was the only time we pulled out the stroller after the age of 2. but never lazy - kids can't walk as long as we can.
    New2Florida

Answer by New2Florida at 4:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

HAHAHAHAH---Imagine that. That is the stupidest thing ever. Who wants to put a toddler in a carrier?..........pretty sure they won't fit in a wrap or sling...that's ridiculous.

I don't think it's lazy. Kids legs are MUCH shorter than ours, therefore they get tired more easily. It's stupid to say another parent is lazy for using a stroller. You don't know how long their day has been, if it's nap time or WHAT! I, for one, go a little crazy when my daughter doesn't want to sit in the cart at the store and wants to wander all through the store, because I can't get anything done. She tried to rearrange entire store displays! Sometimes I WISH she would stay in her stroller. Plus, when you're carrying a million things, how are you supposed to also carry/keep hold of your child the whole time? Strollers were made for babies AND toddlers.

Only on CafeJudge
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2010