one year old wont mind

my son is nearly one, since he was able to comprehend the word no, i tell him no, then if i have to say it again i pop his hand. but he's so stubborn,, that i end up popping him harder and harder till he stops. usually about 5 times. i have tried the side of the thigh, arm, hand everything. i ihave a paper towel cardboard (the middle) and i can tell him no and use that on his leg and it breaks his heart. i would think my hand would hurt worse... dont bash me for spanking. its my choich, but if you have any advice on how to make no mean no, i'm open

aj5momma

Asked by aj5momma at 4:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I spank too so don't think I'm bashing. But have you tried time out? sometimes making a child sit still hurts more than the spanking does! I have a three year old and there are times when we spank but usually making him stand in a corner or sit in a time out chair does the trick
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 4:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Well, I won't bash but I will say I never needed to do that.. he's 1.. you have to teach him by showing him what no means.. taking his hand away or moving him away from what you don't want him to do.. just be consistant. .it takes time but my son got it pretty fast before age 1.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• what will you do once he starts hitting you? hit him back?
    Anonymous

• How horrible!

Your child isn't even one and you think you should expect him to understand no and you are hitting him. Not only hitting him but doing it more and harder. Just because you call it pop doesn't make it hitting.

You need to learn about child development and learn parenting skills. There should be courses in your community. You don't have a clue about what you are doing and things are only going to get worse. If someone knows what you are doing they are going to call cps on you. 'Choosing' to hit an infant is abuse.

Here is an article about saying no. Since you don't have a clue about kids you probably won't understand it. Maybe your husband or someone else can help you understand.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no

Anonymous

• every child learns differently. . . have your tried a pop on the hand or where ever you are comfy with and then get down by his ear and speak low and firm (don't yell) but state this is not proper or acceptable behavior and you will not tolerate it. And then give him to the count of five or else further punishment like time out or something. . .kids don't like being told they were bad, especially at that age. . .I found that to work well. . .
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 4:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I spank too but I agree with the time outs. Will he stay in time out? Spanking didn't work for my DD or DS when they were this age. We had a time out chair (some people I'm sure would think it was abuse but oh well ) Anyways, it was a high chair type thing to keep them from getting up. I tried a spot on the floor that they had to stay in when it was time out but they wouldn't so we used the highchair and they knew if they had to sit in it that they were in trouble.
    Anonymous

• Anon you are rude. . . every kids is different and because you call it abuse doesn't mean you can be verbally abusive to other moms!
    Anonymous

• Oh please, you really think a not yet one yr old understands NO! Babies and doddlers go through stages of knowing. I bet right now he thinks it's funny to do something when you say no. Sure , say no but don't hit and do remove him from the situation. If it is something you can change so he isn't tempted,make it so. The poor child is 1.... give him a break treat him like he is 1
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Well of course spanking/hitting your child is your choice, it doesn't make it a good one. He is a baby! At one babies are testing the boundaries and figuring out the world. It is their job to do things over and over again, that is how they learn. If you don't want him to do something then put him in time out, don't hit him. I do occasionally spank my kids, but never repeatedly and never as babies. All that is doing is showing him you are bigger and meaner. D: Please take a parenting class.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• You have to move him from the situation when you say no. Just popping him repeatedly is not teaching him anything. You can choose to spank for certain things, but physical punishment constantly for every little thing is not really effective and will likely backfire on you. You need to choose one or two no-no's to focus on and then use the exact same words and exact same consequence every single time. If you keep it super consistent he will learn more quickly, though you should not really expect a less than one year old to already understand all the rules.
    Anonymous