My two year old is sick and we have no insurance!!! HELP!!!

We just moved to Colorado and we have to wait 90 days for my husbands insurance to kick in. Well my son has a had a cough, fever, runny nose and know he has a little bit of a catch when he breathes. What are my options!?! I am so scared but don't know what to do? Any help would be great!

sarahlu2009

Asked by sarahlu2009 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Health

• Hey there, where in CO are you?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• i think you can take him to er and later the insurance will pay you back
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 4:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Call the local hospital and see if they have any options for you, specifically ask if they have a "sliding fee" option for people who don't have insurance. That's based on your income and you basically pay what you can, or they may have other options like payments etc.
    Anonymous

• Go to the Emergency Room even if you can't afford the health care cost if a medical emergency exists. Hospitals must treat emergency victims although they may turn down non-emergencies. Then go immediately to the hospital billing office when your son is released. You may be able to have the entire bill waived if you don't have a job and no way to pay the health care cost.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• We are in Denver

busylovinghim : thats what I was thinking but I wasn't sure.
    sarahlu2009

Answer by sarahlu2009 at 4:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• give him tylenol and cold/warm baths when his fever gets high and use the humidifier at night and even during the day if you want to... take him showers with steam so his boogies come down quicker and gets rid of runny nose. good luck
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 4:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• You can also try a health clinic, I found some through Walgreens...

http://takecarehealth.com/clinic-locations.aspx?location=denver+colorado&x=0&y=0

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Thanks I have a walgreens down the street that is on there. I will try there
    sarahlu2009

Answer by sarahlu2009 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Insurance will usually cover the past couple months. Just take him. Even if insurance won't cover it, the hospital has coverage and your income has to be pretty good to be over income.
    Shlamoof

Answer by Shlamoof at 5:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Google "Community Health Centers" to find the master Web site of government-run health clinics that will see anyone, regardless of their ability to pay. You can drill down to find the location of a clinic near you.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2010