For moms of public educated children...

OTHER than school sports what does your child do that a home schooled child can't?

Does your child play a city rec. sport? so can a home schooled child. Is your child in 4-H? Homeschoolers can do that too. What about church youth group? Will they kick a home schooler out?

So OTHER than public shool sports teams ( which BTW homeschoolers can play) home schoolers have the SAME "socialization" opportunities as public schoolers. Right? So why do you think that homeschoolers need to go to public school to socialize?

NoahsMomma418

Asked by NoahsMomma418 at 4:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No offense intended toward any public school moms, but socialization is the last reason I would send my child to a public school. Why would I want my 5 or 6 year old to learn to act like other peoples 5 and 6 year olds? Plenty of moms admit to sending their kids off to school because they're tired and can't handle them. The same moms look forward to the end of summer and Christmas vacation so they can get rid of their kids again. Sorry, but I don't want my kids learning that it's acceptable to act like those kids! How can an unsocialized kid teach another kid how to be socialized?

Anonymous

• Thank you for asking this. . . I homeschool and am curious of what the responses would/will be. . .
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 4:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Because, back in the day, when homeschooling first was starting good...some of those my kids can't be exposed to other kids/people/experiences moms were the only ones that did it. Real religious zealot kinds. Their kids were weird. LOL Not alot of people realize now that homeschooling is different and that some people do it for other reasons, like I wanted to because my son is way smart and not being challenged enough. Nothing to do with religion or what he may learn away from me. I couldn't care less about all that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• In some places homeschooled kids can be in sports. Not where we lived. Two of my sons would go to high school in the fall so they could be on the tennis team. They had played tennis since they were 3 and when they were teens high school was the best place to play. We lived where they would go to the third biggest high school in the state so it was a big deal making the team. When tennis was over we would withdraw them. The school didn't mind because they were there for the standardized testing and scored really high and made the school scores better.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• "Not alot of people realize now that homeschooling is different and that some people do it for other reasons, like I wanted to because my son is way smart and not being challenged enough. Nothing to do with religion or what he may learn away from me. I couldn't care less about all that. "

That's the reason I am thinking about homeschooling mine.
    Anonymous

• Lets reverse the question and tell me what is better about Home Schooling and tell me why you don't want your kids in Public School? Just wondering since my brother and I went to Public Schools, all three of my children went to Puiblic School and my 6 grandchildren go to Public School. What did we miss out on?
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• "I wanted to because my son is way smart and not being challenged enough"
    This is why my youngest brother was homeschooled. There were 5 of us and at the begining of middle school our parents gave us a choice. None of us wanted to go to public school. Not challanging enough.... lol
    Gailll: I'm sorry for your boys! That really sucks they can't play for the school... but maybe they can give lessions to younger students.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 5:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• The best thing about socialization and home schooled kids is that they are socialized with people of all ages. It's crazy to think it is good for kids to be socialized by other kids their age.

When they are teens and young adults they often think people their age are so immature and make stupid choices. My kids always get along with older people better. My kids were pretty much adults by age 15 or 16. They had jobs and were responsible.
    Anonymous

• ^^^ a quality education with individualized attention.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 5:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Lindalu: answer the question or move on.
    Anonymous