ok so we went to the dr today and...

she told me to throw all of my sons bottles away and just use sippys, im not sure if im ok with that my son is only 1 and she also said to start time outs when he bites or throws a tantrum? im not sure if i should listien to her i would like to hear what some MOTHERS say about this stuff...thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sippys yes, because you want your childs teeth to be healthy and not become crooked...time-outs i also agree with when your child is doing bad. You want your children to learn from right and wrong as early as possible. in my opinion the earlier the better. but you do what you feel is best
    Anonymous

• my dd's doc said a stern "no-no" should work at that age..as for bottles, i've seen kids in the mall who are older than one still using them..try giving sippys rather than bottles..and just transition..good luck
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 5:07 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I agree. Sippies are much better for your child's teeth and time out can work wonders if you are willing to be consistent and not give in.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• She has a valid point about the bottles. Bottle contribute to malformation of the jaw. And to be a major cause of dental caries(baby cavities). They are also a contributor to ear infections. Your baby is plenty old enough for a sippy.

At one, your baby can also grasp the concept of discipline for bad behavior.

Your child is brighter and more capable than you think. No one said to force growing up to fast. Just move a a pace that coincides with chronological and emotional age.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• WOW nice Dr. If you son is good with a sippy I would do that switch, but not all kids learn from timeouts. . .explore what works for your son. My DD was on a sippy around 9-12 mo. we did that due to the way she sucked and swallowed (feeding tube). As for timeouts, I started that around 6-9 mo. I was told that that was too young but I feel your child is never too young to learn what is acceptable behavior and what isn't. . . Trust your gut!! I was told that by my DD's Dr. we were told that we are the parents and with her all the time not them. . . who are they to tell you how to raise you kid. GL
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 5:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• get rid of bottles....they say that around 9/10 months to switch them to sippi's, should have started then, but ya i agree she is right about that sippi's and also i agree you CAN discipline a child at 1
    aliciaDnewman25

Answer by aliciaDnewman25 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Bottles.... My dd wanted nothing to do with them by 8 mos and I forced
    her to take them until 11 mos.... As far as disclipine, she was really cgood
    and didn't get her first time out until 18 mos! But it is a good method of disclipline!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• she's right about it all.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Sippys yes according to my dentist because of jaw development and teeth rotting. The rest is completely up to you. you do need to make it clear that biting is not acceptable, but how you do that is your choice. We do not spank or do time outs in our house, but my kids are disciplined and it began around 12-18 months old and progresses and changes as they age.
    Anonymous

• well, I guess you should think about getting rid of the bottles because they can cause tooth decay if they have them too long, but kinda odd she's giving you discipline advice.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2010