what does it mean when my hcg levels are high?

i was told at 17 weeks and 5 days that it was like 4 times high.
and im currently 18 weeks and 2 days.
i had an ultrasound and theres only one baby.
so.. what does this mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• usually that you are having multiples
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• A high hCG level may indicate that your conception date was calculated incorrectly. It may also mean that you have a multiple pregnancy (twins).
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:26 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• It might mean nothing some people's bodies get a little over excited and make too much hormones, it will likely settle down. If you are really worried talk to the doctor about it.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• It could mean nothing, but since it's outside the normal range your doctor may suggest additional testing. High hCG can mean lots of things. It can mean your dates are off, it can mean you are having multiples, it can mean your baby has a higher chance for certain genetic disorders, or it can just mean your body is producing high amounts of hCG. Mine was super high (above twin levels high) early in my pregnancy, and my fertility doctor was afriad I might be having triplets or more. I was afriad that if it was only twins it meant something was wrong with them, but it turned out to be two perfectly normal healthy babies. High hCG levels are an indicator that something may be unusual, but often they mean nothing. GL!
    Anonymous

• I have twin boys and my hcg levels were "high". But when I had my daughter, my levels were almost exactly the same as they were with my twins. I had the hcg levels tested repeatedly for both pregnancies because I was high risk.

So I wouldn't read too much into high levels.
    luv2bamom1124

Answer by luv2bamom1124 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2010