Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Laws for moving my son and I out-of-state

So, I have been thinking very hard about moving my son and I to another state. We currently live in Michigan but there isn't really much here for us as far as my career and everything else. I'm curious to know if his dad would have to sign some sort of agreement or what process we would have to go through to get the clearance.

If anyone knows, your help and answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.


Asked by youngmommy21709 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Travel

Level 3 (15 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • See I understand what youngmommy is going through and yes the courts give the custodial parent way more rights especially when the father can prove to be in the wrong aka abuse, no child support etc. Anon is an a** that doesn't know sh*T. You are allowed to move anywhere you want to its your decision.

    Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:34 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

  • google your state custody laws. usually you do need permission...

    Answer by Soniam301 at 5:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

  • yeah... most states dont allow you to rip a child from his father.
    shows what kind of mom you are though to say "nothing really keeping me here"
    how about a dad for your son?

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

  • Well it depends on the state and the situation when i was first inquiring with the local family court they told me the mother has more right than anyone else especially since we never married and do not live together one is the custodial parent that makes the decisions the other is not, he still lives home with his mommy while i have my own place and my son has his own bedroom. Lets just say he doesn't look very well in court and things are going my way.

    Answer by Crystal8327 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

  • Really ANON?? You don't know my situation... My son's dad doesn't pay any child support, constantly calls me nasty names and tells me that he actually quit his job and isn't looking for another one so he doesn't have to pay more than $25 in child support. He lives with 2 drug dealers and is addicted to drugs, would you want your baby to around that??

    Answer by youngmommy21709 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

  • Go to - The is the first place you should look for Michigan Laws and Regulations.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

  • It is in my court papers that i have complete say over where I take my daughters since i am the custodial parent. But I would check and make sure and check your court papers too.

    Answer by theladybugscafe at 9:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2010