Need a sugar free cake recipe.

I am in charge of making cupcakes for my SIL's baby shower. She just found out she has gestational diabetes, so I want to make some cupcakes she can eat as well. Does anyone have a recipe that they have tried? I would hate to make her cupcakes they don't taste any good :)

Amy_M

Asked by Amy_M at 6:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• you can substitute any amount of sugar in a recipe for artificial sweetener...just make sure you use a third less because artificial sweetener is sweeter than sugar
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• just use splenda...it's completely safe
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Splenda measures like sugar. Xylitol is a natural alternative to Splenda. But if you are prone to share the last bite with the dog, xylitol is dangerous to dogs. Like chocolate.

I would use brown rice flour instead of regular wheat flour bc the glycemic load is better. Try this cake recipe with splenda or xylitol or stevia.

http://daniellecooks.wordpress.com/2009/11/26/gluten-free-pumpkin-cake-with-ginger-cream-cheese-frosting/

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• splenda works very well. My mother was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I love to bake! LOL so I've been trying to help by at least keeping it to things she can eat.

Although depending on how severe your SIL's is, if it's mild like my GD was, Pilsbury has a new reduced sugar box mix. It's 1/2 splenda 1/2 sugar. It's really good too! can't even taste the difference! they also have reduced sugar frosting to go with it.

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Thanks for all the tips ladies...I wasn't sure if Splenda could just be substituted even up..you helped me out thanks!
    Amy_M

Answer by Amy_M at 10:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2010