What is your opinion of Mother's Day Out programs for SAHMs to take their children to a couple of days a week?

We love the one we put our daughter in! I'm a SAHM but we wanted her to get some interaction with other kids in a learning environment plus now that we have a baby it's nice have some alone time with him a couple of days a week.

She goes 2 times a week and learns SO much. She LOVES it and asks every single day if it's a school day. :) She only goes 2 days a week but I think it's a great thing for her and it's only 135 a month.

Anyhoo...I mentioned it to another SAHM friend of mine who is going to have a baby again soon because I thought she might want a nap or something after the baby is born. I thought it would be great for her 2 year old.

She was really rude to me and told me she thought it was rediculous for a SAHM to send her child to something like that but the program is designed for SAHMs and my daughter LOVES it.

What is your opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• My therapist recommended me put my 20 month old in some sort of day care and I'm a stay at home mom. She said he needs more interaction with other children rather than being with me 24/7! I wish we had something for that price around here! It'll be $224 per month for him to go to daycare twice a week!
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Wow..that is an excellent price. I take my DD to gymboree with me, for some social and physical activity. I won't even tell you how much they charge, it will make you sick. I'm only doing the winter program because its too cold for the park. I go to library programs as well. While I don't have the money for a weekly program like that, I do have an arrangement with my in-laws to have her from 12-8 every Wednesday. We are about a half hour apart and they were missing her growing up when they only saw her for a few hours a month. It's great for both of us, they get quality time and I get to finish all the odds and ends around the house....and sometimes I just have a nice lunch with my girlfriends. I think your friend is a bit judgmental. I also think its healthy for mother and child to spend some time doing separate activities.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 6:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I think all parents need sanity breaks, and the healthier mom is, the happier everyone in the household is. Just because you're a SAHM does not mean that your entire existence should be about your kids.

Also, I think the opportunity for the kids to socialize is fantastic. Kids learn a lot from each other, particularly what is and is not appropriate in the peer group. The lessons kids teach each other are invaluable, and no parent can possibly replicate it. Hence only children often being described as "little adults."

I cannot stand it when a SAHM acts like some type of martyr, giving up her entire existence to "live for her kids." Blech.

And by the way, I work full time, and the sanity break I get from working outside the home is what keeps me balanced. If you can get it by participating in these programs, I say GOOD FOR YOU AND YOUR KIDS.
    Anonymous

• I'd tell your friend the umbilical cord gets cut at birth.
    Anonymous

• I think it's good for the kids to get interaction with others. Just because some people choose to stay home with their kids shouldn't mean their life is offically over. Working mom's need a break from work just like SAHM need a break from the kids occasionally.
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 6:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I cannot stand it when a SAHM acts like some type of martyr, giving up her entire existence to "live for her kids." Blech.

Oh...I totally agree.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I don't use them, but my kids do "socialize." I do not need to pay for a program for them to need to do that. I think there's nothing wrong with them, they're just not for us.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 7:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I think that they are fantastic, and I wish that we had one. We have several playdates a week, but it would be really nice to go grocery shopping or get my hair or nails done, or even go to a movie once in a while.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 7:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I think it's fabulous for the kids of SAHMs to have time away from Momma. It gets them used to being without her and gives Momma a break to do stuff too. With your baby I am sure you are run off your feet as it is with a 2 year old bouncing about. Socializing, learning, meeting other kids...all good things. Your friend is a boob and I am betting once she has her baby and her 2 year old at the same time she is gonna go "Hmm..maybe that IS a good idea!". Then you can stick your tongue out at her and say TOLD YA SO! lol
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I will say this. Don't push it with your friend. I have to be careful, because I get asked sooooooo much why I don't put mine in preschool, get informed that I need a break, and etc etc etc that I forget the people have great intentions. Some moms really do not need that break. It doesn't mean they're super mom - it means their kids play independently!! My two girls will play together without a fight or a word from me for an hour and a half. i truly don't need the break, but only because of that! Moms with kids who need constant attention are not so lucky, and probably do need some time to not have a child touching their body. I need space from mine during the day, but it is built in between naps and time they play together. I know that I get so sick of being asked, and told that my children don't socialize, etc, when the parents clearly know nothing about our situation. I am wrong to react that way, though.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2010