Would you kick the guests out of your kid's birthday party if they didn't bring gifts?

The reason I ask is: My SD (15) went to a birthday party this past weekend (friend from school- we don't know the parents that well). It was supposed to be from 2 PM till 8 PM, but she called me at about 6:30 asking if I could pick her up early because the girl's mom had kicked them all out. I figured they were getting too rowdy (teenagers LOL).
So I asked SD what happened when I picked her up, and she said the girl's mom kicked them out because some people didn't bring gifts! She didn't just kick out the kids that didn't bring gifts, she kicked everyone out & made them wait outside until their parents could get there (in 35 degree weather). The mom told the kids that since she paid for all the stuff for the party (cake & decorations, but nothing fancy), that they needed to bring gifts & she didn't want freeloaders in her house!!
Is it just me, or is that really petty & materialistic??

emslala

Asked by emslala at 7:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• That's fucking sad!
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I feel really bad for her daughter...I can't imagine what that's going to do to her "popularity"! I would not be happy about that at all. Personally, when we throw a party for one of our children it is to celebrate their birth and have a good time, we don't expect ANY gifts let alone require them.
    Anonymous

• I feel REEALLY sad for the birthday girl !!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Wow...what a thing to teach your child. It amazes me that some people feel possessions are more important than people. I would have a frank discussion with your step daughter about what happened and how disappointed you are and she should be in her friends mom. I would not keep her from being friends with the girl, because with a mother like that she probably needs all the friends she can get.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• What!!! They didn't pay the cover? Some people.

Seriously, she probably has mental issues. I don't think healthy people behave that way. That poor girl is going to be so embarrassed at school.

Anonymous

• Talk about tacky! I feel sooooo bad for that woman's poor daughter - she's being raised by a b**** and will be totally ostracized at school now, poor kid.
    Anonymous

• Gosh this one is hard, im a firm believer that when you go to a party you always take a gift, im also the person that will not go to parties if i dont have the money to gift,the reason why i do this myself,is becasuse i love to see people happy when they open their gift from my family,come on its their day why not be polite and gift them,i dont like freeloaders myself,but! i cant say i woudl have done any of this,if this mom thinks the kids are such freeloaders then maybie she just shouldnt invite them next time,its not the gift that matters but the fact that you acknowledge them on their day,she was very rude tho because 35 degrees comeon! thats flat out rude,and btw who knows what these kids were doing to make her mad,you need to call her and find out and go from there.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Giving to Get?

How sad that a party supposedly for the enjoyment of your own child would come down to that. Obviously that mom doesn't care about her daughter (the party giving mom).

If I were that woman's daughter, I'd personally call each of my friends, apologize for the behavior of my mother and tell them how much them coming to wish me a Happy Birthday meant to me.

That poor girl. :(
    Anonymous

• Wow...talk about white trash! I'd never kick out kids that didn't bring a gift to my kid's party. The point of a b-day party is to celebrate another year olf life, not to collect gifts.
    Anonymous

• watta (insert any terrible name here). omg, i would be pissed and tell that woman what i thought of her. and get my gift back. wow
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2010