Massachusetts & curcumcision (sp?)

Did you hear they want to pass something so that boys under the age of 18 will not be able to get circumsized? If you get your child circ'd you could face up to 14yrs in jail!! Can you believe this? I don't think it will get passed, but this is ridiculous! Anyone with me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I'll bet it states in there that it can be done for a MEDICAL reason if need be before the age of 18. Personally, I think it's a great idea to ban "routine infant circ", which is generally done for cosmetic reasons and I hope it passes and more states follow suit.
    Anonymous

• Actually it's also done for MEDICAL reasons. I had my son circ'd for a few reasons...one, I didn't want him to get infected, two, lower risk of UTI's, and to prevent phimosis. I did my research. Not circing a boy is unfair. They are given local anistetics(sp) so they aren't in pain. It's NOT just cosmetic.
    OP
    Anonymous

• I think they could do this for the state's medicaid plan (unnecessary elective surgery), but they could not totally ban it across the board - too many toes will get stepped on. Not to mention those who do circ'ing for religious reasons would do it anyway and there isn't anything anyone could do about it.
    Anonymous

• 2nd anon, I don't believe I said it was done ONLY for cosmetic reasons, as a matter of fact I mentioned that they wouldn't ban it for medical reasons which obviously means I realize there ARE medical reasons to have it done. Good for you for doing your research, I did mine as well and don't believe that RIC as commonly done for cosmetic reasons, or for "cleanliness" is fair to boys who don't get to make that choice for themselves.
    Anonymous

• I'd love to see a link on that.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Anonymous

• so for some it's for cosmetic reasons, other it's medical, some it religious... Point is as long as the procedure is being done in a sterile environment by a trained and licensed professional and pain is managed then no state has no reason to step in. JMO-not that it counts for beans.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• While I am completely against circ'ing a boy, I do believe parents should have the choice. The only thing I wished is that parents were given real information on circumsion before the baby is born, there are a lot of people out there who do it for the wrong reason or because they have been told old missinformation.

For instance the whole "it;s cleaner" is a load of crap...soap and water can be an amazing thing. "i want him to look like his dad"...seriously he's not going to be looking at his dad's penis when he is old enough to realise there is a difference. Those are the comment's that bug me most.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:27 PM on Feb. 27, 2010