What is the closest city to FORT IRWIN? No not barstow (40 miles away)

I would like to know! so i can find a zip code and do a search for rentals and prices. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Barstow IS the closest city. After that, you're talking San Bernardino. And that's even farther out...about 70 miles from Barstow.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Zip code in SB is 92410.

• omg are you serious? LOL... There BAH for the army for my husbands rank with dependents is VERY LOW. a E-6 makes the same amount in BAH with Dependents that my husband makes but living in WA state with a lower rank. i dont wanna move there now
    Anonymous

• How about Victorville, Hesperia or Apple Valley??they are in between barstow and san Bernardino
    RAMOM

Answer by RAMOM at 7:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• There's nothing but jackrabbits around Fort Irwin for miles and miles. Oh, and desert tortoises. It IS in the middle of the Mojave Desert.

But they've done a pretty good job of adding things to the base itself in the past couple of years. One of the recent CO's made it a crusade to get development into Fort Irwin. I learned this when doing a story out at Fort Irwin last year for NPR. The base's Public Information Officer was very proud of all they'd done. I also got to meet a few wives who were hired as role players for the National Training Center. They got to spend their days posing as Iraqi villagers, with just a few minutes of terror every couple of hours as they re-enacted an insurgent attack.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• "How about Victorville, Hesperia or Apple Valley??they are in between barstow and san Bernardino "

Good call! I hadn't thought of that...and they're the right side of the mountains.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• There's also Adelanto. But keep in mind that they're still further out from Fort Irwin. If you're looking to get CLOSER there's not a lot of choice.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I dont mean to be rude.. Op here but i can care less about the development of the base and there nice houses. those nice houses i have found are for higher ranking soldiers and it sucks. I dont want to live on base and apple valley etc are all over 1 hour drive. we are from Southern cali but i dont want to move back. i am fine here in Wa state, and walking both my kids across the street that takes me 5 mins to there school. i have two markets 5 mins away. the mall is 20 mins away. another town center full of stores is 15 mins away... Everything is close, i am not bored. I will be on fort irwin and most important he would make 3 times less in BAH then he does now which sucks!
    Anonymous

• Google maps says over 1 hour to 2 1/2 hour drive for all cities. I dont want to shop at the commissary, px or shoppette sorry! we where in Germany for 2 years and we where so glad to move to WA and shop at a normal market. Now i do not want to go back to that. Im super picky with my food and none of the foods i want are on base.
    Anonymous