Can stress, jobloss and health worries cause weight gain?

I used to eat a lot. The more I ate the less I weighed. Now times are tough, hardships and all! We have a lot of Stress. I have many health issues waiting to kill me Etc.. I have gained like 5 lbs. in one week.(No, I'm not prego.*). Now I have something else going on. My DH won't leave me be. He's worried about me! Watching me.So I'm wondering if all this Stress, hardships, worries and all causing me weight gain? I'd love to know what if anything I can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• yep. stress can do that. take some time in your day for you. go for a walk. do a little cardio a day. things will get better.
    Anonymous

• Oh yes, its common knowledge that stress can trigger weight gain. just google "stress and weight gain" you'll get tons of info on the how and why. Its kinda sweet (I hope!) that your spouse is worried about you. I think you should totally take advantage of that and talk to him about what's going on with you. He may see more issues than even you do. And just realizing you're stress eating can help. Keep quick, healthy alternatives on hand like yogurt, fruit (I buy frozen so it won't go bad as quickly), and drink lots of water to keep you full and hydrated. Maybe start taking walks with your spouse if you're lucky enough to have decent weather. A little exercise is proven to reduce stress and being out in the sun for a little-15 min- can also boost your mood.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 8:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Yes, yes, and yes! Although 5 lbs is hardly anything to worry about; it could just be that you're retaining water. Stress is definitely a trigger in a lot of women and make them gain weight. I am one of them!! :( I've been married to an awful guy for 2 yrs, and just continued to gain weight on and on, it sucked! I exercised and ate good, and it just wouldn't come off. I kicked him out 2 months ago and told him I wanted a divorce, and I lost 20 lbs in 2 wks, and I've lost 10 more since then!

I'm NOT saying your husband is the problem (lol) but stress will definitely make you gain weight sometimes.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2010