binky help needed again! we are trying not to cave on this no binky thing at bed time... she cries for like 5 - 10 seconds and then stops. there are no real tears, more a whine. would you wait it out or give her the binky? (8 months old)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Crying for 5 or 10 SECONDS? Wait it out. OMG.
    Anonymous

• she has been doing it for 45 minutes, cry not cry cry not cry etc. sorry that you felt the need to make fun of me. I am a new mom and trying to make the best over here. sorry that I wasted your time. next time please don't respond if you think that a confused mom's question is pathetic in your eyes.
    Anonymous

• What she is doing is normal, yes wait it out IF you want her off of it. The longer she is on the harder it will be to take it away.. She might do this for a few night or a week and that is normal too. This is something new for her and she will learn to self soothe. Keep checking on her and if you want you can hold her a little longer etc.. But it will be hard for both of you. The anon was not being mean, in your original post you did not say it had been going on for 45 min. But either way it is still normal. Most babies take it hard when you take it away so if you do it now or later she will still cry.. Hang in there mom
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• In her defence your question only states she cries for 5 - 10 seconds not over and over again for 45 minutes.

I don't have a huge issue with my kids having comfort items - I had one. My 19 month old twins have their own items - my son has Bear and a soother and my daughter has a blanket (and her thumb if that counts...). They go to daycare and nap there without them and we don't take them out with us on errands and stuff. Just for bedtime here or long car rides. I don't see it as a big deal. I know a lot of moms will tell you to get rid of it but it's totally up to you. She's only a baby once :) GL
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• im sure im no help, but i waited until my dd was just over a year. and she got another thing to latch onto. Thats how we got her off the bottle and her soothie. She now has a blanket. We dont take the blanket out of the house, unless its somewhere over night. And, if needed she will sleep without it because she understands that it cant always be with her. By the way shes 3 now.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 8:34 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• First anon here. Yes, you said she only cries for 5-10 seconds. I really couldn't believe that you were asking that question.

If she's crying on and off for 45 minutes, that's a whole other story completely. If she's THAT upset over her binky, and only 8 months old, I would let her have it for a few more months. Maybe try taking it away at 1 year. Everyone needs a comfort item. If sucking is her thing, she's still pretty young, I would let her keep it a bit longer. As she gets older she will find other ways to comfort herself.
    Anonymous

• At 8 mos old, I'd let her have it. As long as you limit it's use, it should not cause problems. It obviously comforts her, so I don't see the harm (unless there is something that I'm missing)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• okay really ladies lighten up, so what if she miss worded it don't comment if your not looking for specifics, sheesh...

My son is 9months and he just gave up his paci when he cut his first tooth last week (he only had his paci in his bed)... I know this might be unusual cause I haven't heard of a baby that young just giving up a comfort item, crazy i know.... Things that I did to help encourage this is I made sure he was attacthed to a stuffed animal (monkey) for quite sometime now, I would put it in between his arms every time I put him in his bed. Also I know its not healthy for them to go to sleep with a bottle, but I gave him a bottle with only water in it... he still gets up and cry's occasionally for 45 minutes longer if I let him, I give up and rock him until he is really sleepy then try and lay him back down... whatever is more comfortable for you its not necessary to take it away all in one night...
    childofGod51509

Answer by childofGod51509 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• 8 months old is pretty young. why cant she have her binky? shes still a baby.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Shes a baby and still needs that binky. Listen I know what you're going thru because after 6 months i was so worried that my daughter would never give it up and I wanted her off of it, but she let go of it HERSELF at 12 months. At 8 months theres no reason to take it away; just let her have it if its what comforts her. =]
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2010