Any advice before I go in labor ?

..( im 38 weeks and 6 days prego ) this is alos my first baby . and its a boy.. HE FEELS PRETTY HEAVY. stress on my lower back and tummy.( ugh)

CedesM

Asked by CedesM at 8:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• enjoy every minute of it. my dr kept telling me that it was a temporary feeling. that is what carried me through it. don't wait to long to ask for drugs, if you feel a lot of discomfort, then request the epidural. at first for me it was like REALLYYYY bad period cramping..i declined the epidural. then it got very painful and i got the epidural, wish i did it sooner. also- i all of a sudden felt like i had to go "#2" and paged the nurse in....she said, o that's not number 2, that is the baby! when u feel like u have to go number 2.....u r in labor!!

this advice is based on my own experience...other moms please don't bite my head off if you don't agree! :)
    Anonymous

• Just make sure the nurses and your coach know what YOU want. If you don't want pain meds and you know it, make sure you have support to stick to that and if you already know you do, let them know in advance that you're going to want it. It is temporary and the second the baby is born, the pain is instantly gone. I had epidurals for my first two but my last one I made it to nine centimeters and ended up giving up because I was stuck at a 9 for so long, but after I got it, I was only in labor for 45 minutes, wish I never would have done it. My last labor was the best, my husband was great and so were the nurses. My first one, a nurse was a total witch and I wish I would have requested to not have her anymore, so if you get that, you have the right to another nurse.
    Anonymous

• Get the pain meds. Take big ass shoes because your feet are gonna swell up to twice their normal size (I had to borrow a pair of my dad's shoes lol). Hospital toilet paper is NASTY one ply crap so pack a few rolls of the good stuff...you're gonna need it! If there is pay parking only at the hospital throw some change in your bag so you aren't scrambling to find some when you DO go into labour.

Overall just focus on the miracle that is going to be in your arms after all the unpleasant labour stuff is over. Good luck hun!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:46 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• do as much research now about your hospital's policies on interventions, and lots of research on interventions and their risks, that way you will be prepared to refuse any interventions you don't want.

& have confidence in your body =)

birth is awesome
    Anonymous

• after reading the other posts, i thought i'd add that you shouldn't feel like you need the drugs. i had a drug-free birth and i'm soooooooooo glad. =) just don't let others scare you into thinking labor is scary and you *need* drugs.
    Anonymous

• And don't let the self proclaimed "Super Moms" make you feel like it's bad to get the drugs either. I don't get why anyone would want to suffer horrible pain when they don't have to. I guess it gives them a reason to look down on others....How sad their lives must be if they need THAT to validate themselves....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Feb. 26, 2010