is it bad to induction

i am at my 37 1/2 week i will be 38 next tuesday my dr thinks i should induction..but he didnt tell my why he said that its a higher change that i might have a c shion cause woman now a day are not having small babys .. i am 2 cm dilated and 75% effaced... i am 2 cm dilated and 75% effaced... i have been having "crumps" for two nights and they hurt i have told my dr ...but he says nothing about ..my dr is a good dr.. but i am unsure if i should induction...and my mom and aunt thins i should wait until the baby is ready but my soon to be husbon hate to see me in pain and he thinks i should.... help please (sorry but before i could check wat it said my cat hitr a button and it added )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i would run from that dr if at all possible. trust in your body! geting induced increases your chances of c-section. but to be honest, a dr who says you are likely to have a c-section, is not a good dr. =) if you can't switch drs, just refuse induction no matter what (UNLESS there is a true medical reason!), and labor at home until the very last moment.

congrats :)
    Anonymous

• You should really research the risks and benefits more before you make this decision. Do you know how he plans to induce? What medicine will they use? Why do they want to induce when you are not even at your due date? Usually they wait until you are one or two weeks past. There needs to be a medical reason to induce. It sounds like your body is getting ready and if you can hold off you'll probably go into labor naturally, but I don't know your body or your medical situation. Research the process and PRESS YOUR DOCTOR for answers. Don't let them do anything you don't fully understand the risks and benefits for.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Also, be aware that some doctors push induction and c-section because they don't want to get called into the hospital in the middle of the night for delivery. Don't let him induce and then perform surgery on you just for his convenience. Make sure whatever he does, he does for appropriate medical purposes. Most first time mothers don't need medical interventions, but they do have a proper time and place.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• i would wait and let baby come on their own, any good dr would schedule induction after your due date not before. with my first i was scheduled 5 days after my due date and the day after i went into labor and did end up having a c-section because she was breech. let nature take its course, no matter what there is gonna be pain.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 9:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• yeah that is what my friend said...and i agree with her but i want to know that i am making a good chose and one of my friends was induction by my dr and she had no promble .. the reason she was induction was cause she wanted he to deliver her baby
    and she was happy with her chose
    hotprincess_mom

Answer by hotprincess_mom at 9:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• wait. let the baby come when s/he and your body is ready. it WILL happen. trust in your body.
    I know it's uncomfortable, but it's all worth it in the end when you get your HEALTHY baby.
    just try to relax as much as possible. put your feet up, watch some movies, take a nice hot, relaxing shower. just enjoy the last weeks....you'll miss it.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• No, your doctor is NOT a good doctor if he's not giving you a good, practical, medical reason why you should induce. Induction isn't meant to be elective. It should be done only when necessary. Your body is meant for bearing children.
    Anonymous

• If your guy hates to see you in pain then avoiding an induction (and the risks for a cesarean) is a wise idea.

But also, are you looking to choose what is safer or more convenient? You will want to consider that natural labor is safer.
    This is only up to you~ learn about the risks and options, you have many!

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• The "big baby" is nonsense. Someone in my midwife practice just gave birth to an 11lb 4 oz baby-- perfectly healthy. A "big baby" is no reason to have a major surgery. C-sections and inductions are not good for anyone. They are for emergencies only.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:26 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• its definately not ideal. unless there is some medical danger to you or the baby, then NO, you should not be induced. i was induced and it makes labor much more difficult. and it also increases your risk of c-section.

your chance for c-section is much higher w an induction, than having a big baby. and even IF you have a big baby, chances are you WILL be able to push him out! and if they tell you by ultrasound that you are having a big baby, you canNOT trust that. they are infamousy wrong on size. its better to wait till you are overdue before you even consider induction.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 11:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2010