How do I easy the pain of nursing my newborn?

I just had a baby and Feb. of 2010 and she latches on very well though it's extremely painful for me. I have very large nipples and she has a tiny mouth so it's hard to get all of my nipple in her mouth. I still try to nurse her though it just gets more and more painful. I would like advice on technics that mine help or stop the pain so I can keep nursing. But right now I nurse her for 5 to 10 minutes on each breast and then top her off with a bottle I pumped from the previous feeding. Only to pump out what is still left in my breast to store it for the next feeding. Also will pumping affect my milk production?

Narsita

Asked by Narsita at 9:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "But right now I nurse her for 5 to 10 minutes on each breast and then top her off with a bottle I pumped from the previous feeding."

And that will increase the pain. No bottles...they teach her to suckle a different way. No timing. Put her to breast, leave her there till she comes off on her own. Only take her off to fix the latch if it's still painful through the feeding.

Pumping CAN impact supply. Best to get nursing down first. You can add pumping in later when her latch is just right.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group, too...lots of experienced moms to help you out.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• if you are having pain she isn't latching properly. what position are you holding her in while nursing you may want to switch to something else. i would see a lactation consulted in person so they can show you how to latch. I wouldn't pump unless thats what you plan on sticking with instead of straight from the breast. You want her to learn the breast and be a pro before pumping.
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 9:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Pumping and nursing might make you over produce, causing you to be engorged. Just nursing alone will regulate your production to make just enough milk for how often, and how much baby eats. However, pumping is great if you can't nurse for each feeding or want to have extra milk stored. As far as the pain goes, it really gets better with time. You can try Lansinoh nipple ointment...it worked wonders for me. Also, make sure you don't use soap on your nipples when you shower because it can dry them out, causing it to hurt worse. Other than that, I don't know what else you can do. I didn't have pain really when I nursed my son...it was more of an irritating feeling.
    Anonymous

• You may need to adjust her latch just a little bit, and get her lower jaw a little farther away from your nipple. Check out When Latching

Also make sure you have ruled out any physical problems that would keep baby from getting a deep latch, like tongue tie.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I think feeling sore is really normal for the about the first two weeks. I personally liked those soothing gel pads you can get that go in your refrigerator.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• People always say there's only pain if the baby isn't latching properly but my dd latched properly and it was still uncomfortable for almost a month...most of my mom friends had some pain the first couple of weeks. If you think there's an issue with latching on then consult a lactation person at your local hospital, otherwise just keep at it and know it will get better soon. Don't give up!! Once you both get comfortable with it it is the best!!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2010