Do you think people with food stamps....

I was thinking about this today. Those that qualify for food stamps also qualify for free or reduced lunch at school. I think that their food stamps should be used to pay for their child's lunch or groceries to supply their lunches if they get above $250 a month in food stamps. Then, people of the lower-middle class should be allowed to get free or reduced lunch at school. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We get free lunch but not food stamps. They have different requirements and don't really go together.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• LOL, I think that's funny. We have not had a lower- middle class in decades. It's Lower Class - Middle Class and Upper Class with no more of the levels of each they had back in the day. I can't believe you'd begrudge kids eating just bc their parents have food stamps. Many of those parents don't actually feed their children. Some sell the stamps. Some buy junk so at least this way the kids can have a healthy meal while at school. The govt made the eligibility requirements to get low and reduced lunches. It allows people pretty high on the income list to get free or reduced lunches so what's your real complaint?
    Anonymous

• they are different, and my FS office asks if the kids are school age and get free lunch. it does effect the amount of foodstamps.

personally though, with all the money going to schools and the crappy quality of the food, I think all kids should get it free if they are willing to eat it! LOL
    Anonymous

• I think you have no clue what it's like to wonder how you are going to feed your family every week...

I think you have no clue what it's like to feel hungry you your child feels full...

I think you have no clue what it feels like when school is the only place you get a hot meal...

I think you have no clue....

Anonymous

• We also qualify for reduced lunches as of last month due to an income change, but we do not qualify for any other of these type things. I have to agree that the thought needs more thinking, but have to say it's an interesting one. :) There are many, MANY areas where the welfare system needs to make some changes. I personally feel that there should be no free lunch, everyone should have to pay a little to maybe open up the door for the program to be able to help more people. That's a nice thought too, but I have no idea if it's realistic, I honestly don't know that much about the system.
    Anonymous

• OP here. I don't have any idea what it's like to wonder how I'm going to feed my child? Really? Here those that DO qualify for food stamps, also qualify for free or reduced lunch. I am in the middle class and my child does not. I do not qualify for any type of assistance so I pay all my own bills. So, yes I do know what it's like to wonder how I am going to buy groceries or what my budget is for groceries. It's definetly not a balance on a card. How is the only place they have for a hot meal school when they get food stamps? Isn't that what they're for? To get food?

To the poster at :42 - so they do take it into account if the child is in school? Do they get a lower amount? that would make sense to me then. I do not know how it work. I just know I have looked at the income requirements and it is along the lines of those that would get food stamps.
    Anonymous

• Anon 6:42, where are you exactly? Because I don't see a whole lot of money going to the schools in my neighborhood. lol And actually, in some areas with poverty levels high enough, all children do eat free regardless of their own financial standings.
    Anonymous

• OP here I just get upset that lunches are $2.50 a day. I think that's a lot for the crap they get. I was reading the vegetarian menu and they had a bagel and cream cheese with broccoli and fruit. Way to throw in the protein.
    Anonymous

• Don't you bitter bettys ever get tired of bitching about people on food stamps? I mean seriously there are hundreds of the same discussion on this topic and each week several times you make up another post. Jealous much? How about you live your damn life and let others do the same?? TOO much to ask? How about you not judge others, which is hyprocritical of you since you claim others are judging when the subject fits your needs. Better yet how about you get a DAMN life!
    collegurlge

Answer by collegurlge at 9:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Anonymous