If your husband and you were arguing...and he hauled off and punched you in the face...but immediately apologized, is horrified he lost control like that, promised to later get counseling and followed through, and went to anger management classes...what would your response be?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 10:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• Well, I've been in an abusive relationship before, so if DH did that, I think I'd just leave him.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 10:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• "Get the hell out. I want a divorce. Doesn't matter how much I love your ass...get the hell out NOW. "

There is nothing EVER ok with being hit...doesn't matter if the woman or man is doing it.

JMO
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 10:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I would have been out the door before he got a chance to say he was sorry. I have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to violence.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 10:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Leave. The first time the man is always sorry, immediately. It escalates from there.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My immediate response would be call 911, then press charges, then see about counseling. I wouldnt be interested in counseling though, once that line is crossed they have a hard time not crossing it again. I have the best lawyer in town on retainer for various things, and he would be earning his money if that happened to me.

Answer by gemgem at 10:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My response to be get the heck out of there and don't look back. I would be panicked because I've been in a terribly abusive relationship before, so that's just me. If you have been with him for years, maybe he truly didn't mean to, but I'd be afraid, and definitely make sure he actually goes through with the anger management, not just talk the talk.
    Anonymous

• from my experience... if they do it once they will do it again. its only a matter of time i would get out while ya can. they swear up and down that they will do anything to change but all that goes out the window when they get mad again
    JoshysMommy8809

Answer by JoshysMommy8809 at 10:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• well, considering I lived with it for 7 years, was stalked every time I left, and he made numerous attempt on my life- I waited until I was safe to leave... and I did.

Calling the cops (especially in the dirty south) does not always (or even often) mean that they will help you. I had to learn that the hard way.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Oh I just would leave.
    Anonymous

• Make a promise to yourself right now. If you don't leave him this time, only you know if you will. If it EVER happens again, promise yourself you WILL LEAVE and do not second guess it or allow him to talk you out of it. My abusive ex was a smooth talker, that's how they get away with that crap.
    Anonymous