our dog..is afraid to go outside?

we just adopted a dog, and when i put her leash on to take her out she lays down and doesn't move..it's like she's scared of going out...she was dumped, abandoned at a church, so i'm starting to think that that's why she's afraid to go out. any suggestions on getting her to go out, so she can potty???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Pets

• You are probably right. She is afraid of being abandoned again. Step out side the door with her favorite treat and see if you can get her out the door. Don't try to take her any farther the first time, make it a gradual movement outside and see if you can get her to come. I wouldn't try picking her up because if she panics you could get bit.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Make sure you go through the door first. She should follow you. It'll give her confidence in her new "pack" to follow you. When you are in the house, encourage her to follow you off leash too. This is good pack-leadership training for future tricks and commands.

The leash and collar might be the wrong tools. Have you tried a chest harness? She may have trauma or soreness from being pulled by her neck. I have a scaredy-dog from a rescue and the chest harness is THE tool for him.

You may want to put her leash on her when you aren't going out to desensitize her to it. Just let her wear it around the house so it's not a frightening thing.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:34 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• when did you adopt the dog? My dog did that for the first few days, but i kept making sure to walk her on the leash..now when i get the leash out she runs and stands there ready for me to put it on her. Do you have a dog park or anything that you can take her to? something that would make her happier? My dog associates the leash with the dog park lol
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Oh I have the same problem with a dog I rescued ( acutally I stole her from someones yard she was tied to a post no water or food and so skinny it was sick) she just had to have lots of attention and caring and learn to trust. I agree you should make it agradual trip outside.. maybe you just go hang out in the yard where she can see you and that will help to teach her that outside is a fun place. Mine had to see my other dogs playing outside before she was comfy going out. I also have an 80lb mastiff that is afraid of cats... so dogs aren't immune to fears and insecurities.. Good luck
    LolaRae

Answer by LolaRae at 12:54 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• It could be that she is reacting to the leash. I would try enticing her with some really yummy treats and every time the dog moves forward give her a treat and move forward a step. Just don't let her go backyards much. if she truly is afraid of going outside once you have her going outside i would suggest that you get her out in many situations because that will help socialize her and her her over whatever fears she might have.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:19 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• thank you ladies..but our problem is is that we cant go outside without the leash on any dog...we have a phsycotic neighbor, who has already yelled at us many times about our dog, and threatens calling the cops on us, with just about anything she can and we're not even a horrible family...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• We've had a neighbor the same! Ugh, you sure you didn't move into the house I just moved out of?

Jokes aside, she may have gotten in trouble for going outside with her previous owner. Don't let yourself think that it's because she's afraid to be abandoned again, dogs don't have the capability to reason that way. Something out there has scared her, and it's up to you to build her confidence that it IS ok to go outside, and that nothing will eat her while you're there. Once you get her outside, let her check it out without praise, without any kind of excitement. Don't watch her, just let her lay down and check it out. Your excitement will only add to her nerves, because she's already unstable, if you throw excitement in there, she won't know how to act. I say don't pet her, either. Petting her when she's nervous will only encourage her to be nervous.

So take her out, and just BE there with her. She'll get the hang of it.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:08 PM on Feb. 26, 2010