How do ya'll like Similac formula?

I BF my son except for his bedtime bottle per our pediatrician's recommendation. Ihave given him Good Start since he was 2 days old, but I was curious if Similac is any better/worse?

suthrnpeaches

Asked by suthrnpeaches at 10:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• idk if its better or worse, but when my son was in the NICU they put him on similac earlysheild, and thats what ive been using ever since
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• its fantastic!
    Anonymous

• Just curious as to why formula is needed? Seems odd since formula is trying to emulate breastmilk so it seems a strange recommendation when you are already breastfeeding just fine.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:46 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Similac was better on my boys tummys than goodstart

Why is it recommendefor the bedtime formula? If the rest of the day is fine....you should be able to take him off of the botle at night by now...no sense in changing up his digestion
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 10:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Is this bedtime bottle to keep him full longer and sleep through the night?

Better or worst in the formula world really varies by baby. I supplemented all of my children with Good Start because it was a well known brand at a decent price. Unless you are having a problem with it I'd just stick with it. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 10:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• i think similac is better the goodstart really bothered my ds he screamed and fussed all the time on that crap but it does all depend on baby and what baby can handle
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone...Yes, the formula bottle is to keep him fuller longer and it really seems to make a difference in the amount of sleep he gets at night
    suthrnpeaches

Answer by suthrnpeaches at 11:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I see. Thanks for answering. I still think it's very strange for a ped to want a baby so young to skip night feeds. I guess if it were me I'd nix the formula and encourage a good long full fat breastfeed. *shrug*
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• That seems like a weird recommendation to me, too. Your pediatrician must've got his breastfeeding information the same place most people get random incorrect information -- from another person who had no clue what they were talking about.

The reason babies that are breastfed solely SOMETIMES wake slightly more frequently than formula-fed infants is because breastmilk is easier to digest. It's like eating a tofu burger and sweet potatoes for lunch vs. a big mac and fries - the big mac clogs you up for longer but that doesn't necessarily mean it was the healthier option.

I disagree with this method of "getting more sleep" and it's likely only an hour and at what cost? Early weaning? Digestive difficulty? Constipation? Flora imbalance? Supply issue?

BUT to answer your question - If the Goodstart isn't causing issues I wouldn't change it. If it is Similac is a fine brand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• now that he is on a sleep sched at night, try taking away the bottle before bedtime and see if he sleeps just as welll could save you some $ if it works lol
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 26, 2010