can you feed a 2 month old baby while layin down?

like during the night could i just feed him layin down? i heard it can cause ear infections...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breastfeed and do it all the time.

Not sure i would recommend a bottle as most of them leak and it would be harder to manage choking.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• you're not supposed to BOTTLE feed while laying down because the milk can run and pool by/in their ears... but breastfeeding is absolutely fine. i did it all the time, and i slept better than a baby! i'll definitely be doing it again, when i breastfeed my next.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Yeah, I did the lying down side by side breast-feeding thing all the time...my girl has never had an ear infection in her life.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• if its a bottle no, hold the baby.. but if your breastfeeding I have done that.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• im not sure about breast feeding, but i wouldnt let a baby lay down and eat anyways.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I agree, bottle no, breastfeeding yes. I also agree that by breastfeeding my son i got SO MUCH more sleep than when i had him on more formula in the beginning!
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I breasfed my dd lyning down and I am doing the same with my son never have had any problems , deffinately dont dp it with a bottle though.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 11:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I agree - you can't do that with a bottle, but you can do that with nursing. I did it all the time with both my kids with no problems. My ds didn't get ear infections, and my dd got them as a toddler, long after she was weaned.

The difference is in how the milk flows - with bottles it doesn't require as much sucking action among other things, so there is much more chance for it to basically puddle in the baby's mouth, even if your lo stops suckling, and cause problems. With nursing, this doesn't happen.

I'm NOT bashing formula feeding or anything like that, but this is one of those questions where the answer really does depend on how you feed your baby.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2010