Alternative to prenatal pills?

Ever since getting pregnant this time around (second pregnancy) I've been having trouble swallowing pills. It makes me puke. So I haven't really been able to take prenatal vitamins because they're so big and they really make me feel sick just by trying to swallow them- I literally gag on them. I'm only 13 weeks along, so I've got a long road ahead of me.

Are there other alternatives to it? Other than the obvious "get all your vitamins from your foods" thing because it's almost impossible to find good, fresh fruits and veggies at this time of year in as rural of an area as I live. Are there any smaller pills out there? Liquids? Chewables?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• chew up 2 flintstones vitamins a day.
    Anonymous

• ask your doc about prescription pills. When i got pregnant my doctor gave me samples of several different kinds and one of them were small pink and blue ones that were really easy to swallow. I think it was the Tandem OB.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• For liquid vits: I do Emergen-C vitamin drink mix. I also do Barlean's Oil-- lemon flavor. It mixes well with a smoothie or over ice cream.

I also find that taking them individually and not in one big multi pill is better for me. I have a collection of small whole food vitamins that I take throughout the day. Way easier on my stomach.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I agree with the Anon.

Thats what do. Two Flinstone's a day. MY doc ok'd it. Check with yours. I have a horrible gag reflux as it is, pregnancy intensifies it, so I feel your pain.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• 2 flintstones vitamens a day. i couldnt swallow pills either when i was prego so thats what my doc told me to to and it was great.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I couldn't handle pre-natals at all with my first so I tried flinstones. They worked for a month & then the chalky feeling & taste got to me. My DR told me to take two Gummy Vites a day and that it would be just what I needed. I went straight to those again when I found out I was pregnant again. Just like eatting gummy bears, only good for you.
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 12:43 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Thanks everyone. When I finally see my OB next week, I'll definitely run these ideas by him!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Feb. 26, 2010