Is it DANGEROUS to put a kid in a shopping cart?

Someone on here said awhile back that they absolutely refused to put their kid in a shopping cart because it was dangerous.

Am I missing something?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Probably germ-phobes. I used the cart cover and call it good. If I don't have that, they have those little wipes everywhere now. If you don't watch your kid they can fall out, but I don't see how they can be dangerous.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't put my son's car seat in the front of the cart (where the kid is supposed to sit, this was when he was itty bitty) because I was scared it would flip over.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• only if your child doesnt sit in the cart. or once, my dd turned around to try and get something out of the back, and stuck her arm through the little bars things..and got her arm stuck and it was hard to get it out.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Sara---maybe you should have tried, because the car seat CLICKS onto the carts........they're not just sitting, floating on top.

It is completely safe for a child to be in the cart while you stroll through the store, unless you are doing donuts in the parking lot with your kid in the cart.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Never had an issue, nor knew anyone who has.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• It is dangerous to allow them to stand in the back of the cart. They need to be strapped into the seat in the front. It is also dangerous to snap your infant carrier onto the front of the cart. It makes the cart not balanced and the cart could tip, with your baby in the carrier. It's safer to put the baby carrier into the big basket part. I witnessed that first hand at my work and it scared the crap out of me! The baby wasn't strapped in and his sister was standing on the side of the cart and it flipped over. Baby was fine, but the cart landed on his sister. She was okay though.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• When I was little, I was sitting in a buggy and my brother was pushing it and pushed it too fast, and flipped it over!!! Boy did he get a butt whooping for that!!

Unless you're racing with it, it's fine. I never had a problem with mine riding in a cart. They're too big now.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:17 PM on Feb. 26, 2010