How and when do you get rid of sippy cups

My 2 1/2 year old can drink from a normal cup now. But she likes to have some water to go to bed with in her sippy cup, and sometimes wants to just snuggle me with her sippy cup.

I'm torn on how and when to end the sippy cups. On one hand, I know it's just a big comfort thing. On the other, we live in a really dry climate and I have a glass of water by my bed because I'll wake up in the night with my throat burning dry...and I don't think she can handle a normal glass by her bed without spilling like crazy yet.

Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just keep the cup, or get a cup with a lid, and use a straw. you said yourself that you drink at night-so maybe she needs it sometimes too.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My youngest has never touched a true sippy cup. We have cups, with lids, that you don't have to suck on. I gave him this cup at 6 months old with water. He's now 30 months old. The purpose of this lidded cup is simply so that if he knocks the cup over, the entire contents of the cup do not pour all over the table and floor. He drinks at the kitchen table only. The cup does not travel all over the house.

I've actually started giving him water in the same cup without the lid, and only filling the cup half full.
    Anonymous

• My DD is 6 and still on occasion uses a sippy, but then again so do I. . .but the adult type. . .lol. . .
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 11:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Get her a sport bottle to use at night beside her bed, or when you're travelling. Then you can use a regular cup the rest of the time. I think 3 is a good age to be done with sippy's. My 15 month old would already rather use a regular cup than his sippy, but I'm dreading the messes. I just got over that stage with my 8, 10, and 12 year olds!

Answer by missanc at 8:02 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My daughter had a sippy cup with water on her nightstand until about eight; then we switched to a stainless steel water bottle.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:23 AM on Feb. 27, 2010