is it common for an 8 week old to be able to roll over on his own?

My baby started rolling himself over when I first tried tummy time. He started crying and rolled himself over onto his back... Now he can roll from back to belly and belly to back... just curious if thats the norm for an 8 week old?

Also he is already trying to sit himself up. He struggles to sit up and gets about 3 inches off the bed before he falls back onto the mattress... lol is this normal also?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well it is normal for him. My dh's cousin rolled over at three days. He was placed sleeping in the center of a king size bed and rolled off and broke his collar bone. Your LO sounds strong, which is a good thing. Nothing to worry about. :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I suspect it is normal. My older child didn't, but my younger rolled over at a week. He rolled right off the sofa, thank goodness the floor was carpeted. And he didn't stay in the bassinet very long because he kept pushing himself against the sides.

Answer by Bmat at 11:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Both of my kids were rolling by that time, so it can be. But babies will do what they can when they can. There are very few real "guidelines" by when babies "Should" do things... Most of it's more of a "if they don't do it by this time" kind of thing, if they do it before that time it's all good.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• absolutely...if you have a strong baby it is very normal for them to be rolling, crawling, and eventually walking very early
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• It's fine.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2010