My baby is 4 months old and has been spitting up since birth. Will switching from formula to breastmilk fix this?

He spits up at least 2 oz with every feeding. The doctor thought introducing solids would help. It's only gotten worse. For personal reasons i couldn't breatfeed in the beginning but i can now. He's already on zantac and i've tried different ways to feed him. None of it works. Could breatmilk possibly slow it down at least?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think if you are able to brestfeed him you should give it a shot! Instead of messing around with all different formlas and possibly upsetting his tummy even more I would try to breastfeed and see if it helps. Good luck and good for you for considering it!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• YES!! it definitly can. however getting your milk in can be very difficult.you have to be very consistent, and his latch will need work since hes used to the bottle flow. but good luck:)
    Anonymous

• idts...you might want to have him thoroughly checked out..it could be an intestinal problem....if he's throwing up formula which is very similar to breast milk then he'll probably just throw up the breast milk...i'm thinking its more serious than just the food
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• What does the doctor say about switching to breastmilk? What formula are you using? Are you sure he is spitting up a full 2oz or does it just look like a lot? Is he still growing on schedule? Are you over-feeding him?

Babies spit up, that is normal. If you take a one ounce cup of formula & pour it on the table it looks like a LOT more than it actually is. Newborns typically spit up one ounce after every feeding, & this is normal. As long as he's thriving & growing he should be fine. If your baby is in fact spitting up more than that, I would suggest trying different formulas. First the one that is designed for excessive spit up (I think Enfamil AR or something like that is suppose to be the best), if that doesn't work try a soy-based formula. You can try breastmilk, too. If still to no avail your baby is spitting up excessively, talk to an infant nutritionalist to find out what other options are available
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 11:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• goto http://www.kellymom.com/  and http://www.drjacknewmn.com/  for relactation help. Breastmilk is much more easily digested than formula. Even if there is another issue breastmilk would digest quicker than any formula on the market.   

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• He may have trouble with milk based formula. My middle son had this problem. Once we switched him to a soy formula, he was fine.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Breastmilk can definately help, because it's much easier on their tummies. The PP who said formula was similar is both right and wrong... it has SIMILAR ingredients, but it's a dead substance, and the nutrients are all fortified (meaning they're not very absorbable). Breastmilk is a living substance and all the nutrients in it are food-based instead of chemical based, making them much easier to absorb, plus, we don't even KNOW everything that's in breastmilk, we just know that it's super awesome for our babies.

Relactation is a lot of work, and no one will blame you if it doesn't work out. But any breastmilk is better than none, and it's never too late to start :) The kellymom website has great relactation advice, and finding an IBCLC in your area will be a boon as well.

Good luck, mamma! You're doing so great :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:21 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Definitely worth a shot to try breastfeeding. If you find he is still spitting up a lot, cut out all dairy from your diet. It's possible he has a milk protein allergy. (is he on cow's milk formula? or soy?) Uncontrolled reflux/spitting up is a common sign of allergy.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:54 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Even if he keeps spitting up .. he'll absorb more of the nutrients from breastmilk than he would formula. So if you can relactate that would help regardless. Plus there are many health benefits.

He may have a milk allergy - in which case you COULD switch to soy formula or hypoallergenic formula and this would help - but there are downsides to the soy formula (phytoestrogen, more constipation) and hypoallergenic formula is extremely expensive. If you decide to breastfeed, give it a shot for a while and if the reflux/spitting up gets better don't bother changing your diet. If your baby is still having issues try cut dairy from your diet.

I disagree with the person that said it's definitely a more serious problem. My son spit up all the formulas and had tummy pain while I supplemented. When I finally could stop - I produced enough milk for him, he stopped spitting up and having pain ENTIRELY AND I still eat dairy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I just wanted to say...ask your pediatrician if she has samples of soy formula, if you choose to try it, my pediatrician gave me a whole case of full size cans of powdered soy formula!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2010