How can I punish a 14 year old?

She is not doing her school work, failing and lying. She is not doing any chores when told too. I am seriously going nuts. She does things when she wants to and always has an excuse.

Help......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I always try to make the consequences logical for the behavior. If you don't have time to do your homework and take care of your responsibilities, you don't have time for hanging out with your friends, extra curricular activities, and definitely not texting or computers......period. My middle son, thought he would die without texting, and we actually had it shut off on his phone for awhile. he couldn't send or receive any text messages.

Privileges are based on responsibilities, the kids are given privileges such as going out without a parent, based on responsibility, not having to be supervised to do their homework or chores.......

Good Luck, this age is exhausting, and I'm not yet sure when it ends.......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Take away all of her possessions except her bed. Make her work to get them back. My nephew was doing the same crap and my brother and his wife did this to him and he has had a complete turn around in his behavior. Sometimes kids just need a wake up call.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Don't allow her to go out with friends, or do anything but go to school and come straight home. No talking on the phone, or going on the computer until her homework and studying is done. Take away the cell phone, if she has one, and any other privledges she might have.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• i agree...take her stuff away and forbid her to leave the house til she straightens out...she owes you her life and she needs to be reminded of that...threatening boot camp is never a bad idea either
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• oh but i do have to advise on thing...don't yell or scream at her....speak in a firm low tone cause they won't hear what you're saying if you yell....yelling also makes them want to rebel
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• *** she throws tempertamtrums like a four year old, yells we don't love her, she hates us, yadadad we pick on her....
    Anonymous

• Take away everything including the bed. Make her sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag. Just clean out her room one day when she's at school and when she comes home and yells at you for touching her stuff tell her it was in your house and therefore your stuff. If that still doesn't work, my dad used to make my sister dig holes and move the dirt manually across the yard. That really stopped her from mouthing off.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 11:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Did I mention my "two year old punishment"? If you act like a two year old (or 4 year old) you get treated like a two year old (or 4 year old!) In other words, a two year old goes to bed at 8pm, can only watch G rated movies, mom picks out what a 2 year old wears, you get the idea........
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:03 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My daughter is 15, She is doing the same things. We took away all her makeup and and hair products until her next report card. (6 weeks) That really seemed to be the only thing that hurt her. She did sneak a time or two and borrow makeup from friends but we put a stop to that as well. She is now doing much better even working toward A-B honor roll! We have allowed her to have her stuff back. We will reevaluate the situation when she gets her next progrress report .

Things were getting so bad with her. If that didn't work. I told her I was  also going to take away all her clothes and go to Walmart and by her a couple pairs of sweat pants and shirts she could alternate wearing to school. She got mad and said she would "Just not go to school" I told her she would if I had to drag her a$$! I didn't have to resort to that drastic of measure the make-up did the trick. ;-)

marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 12:07 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• have you never punished her before???

and OMG LMAO I will have to remember the "two year old punishment" when mine get bigger! LOVE IT!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Feb. 26, 2010