How old should my son be to cry it out through the night

He's 3 months old right now, & I was wondering when I should start to let him cry it out.

LeiamsMommy

Asked by LeiamsMommy at 1:29 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Uhmm... never? What's wrong with his sleeping that you'd be considering it? The "experts" on it say to wait until at least 6 months... but there's a great deal of evidence that shows it can do harm to an infants developing brain. Be sure to know both sides before subjecting you child to it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I started with my dd when she was 9 or 10 months although she never was one to cry much at bed time that was just the age she was when I stoped giving her a bottle in the middle of the night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• another vote for "never" right here.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 8:23 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Never.
    There are other ways to night parent without resorting to that. Besides it can easily backfire on you especially with a high needs baby.
    But if you insist on doing it, no younger than nine months.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:34 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• What do you mean "cry it out through the night" ?
    I hope you don't mean crying all night long.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 8:38 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• 3 months is too young. At her age, I would recommend working towards a consistent routine. You can try laying her down awake, but very drowsy to see if she will fall asleep on her own - mine would fuss for a minute or two but then settle down and sleep. Babies that fall asleep on their own learn to self soothe themselves back to sleep alone when they wake in the middle of the night. I also found that a "heartbeat" bear helped for my kids (it mimics the sounds of the womb, sound and movement activated), but a white noise machine would work too. Also I used to tuck a very small blanket into bed with them that I wore under my shirt during the day so it had my smell.

Answer by missanc at 9:07 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• She's too young. You have to wait til she is atleast 8 months old, preferably a year old.

What do you mean cry through the night.. ? Do you mean if she cries you just don't go to her? You can never do that. That's not sleep-training.

Sleep-training is to get your baby to go to sleep at night you let them cry in their crib, making sure all their "food/diaper" needs are met, and you sit in a chair next to the crib and watch them cry for 5 minutes then you pat/rub again and then sit.. if it goes on for too long or they seem ill you pick them up and try again the next night. Once they start falling asleep a little faster you slowly move your chair out of the room til they do not need you as much. If you rub their back to sleep every night for a month til they finally sleep on their own that is fine. They tend to sleep longer after this.

I always went and got mine in the night if they woke crying they needed me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• i dont cio. but thats your choice but i say 6 mts. by the way find out how cio works .
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:19 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Mine is 12 months and I don't let him CIO still. I am not a believer in that. Sorry!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Never. If you must - 18 months-2years.
    Anonymous