confirmation name advice--mainly for catholics, but any help is good!!

Okay so, I am being confirmed in April and I am looking for a name.. and I wonder if you ladies could give me your input. I feel so drawn to Mary Magdalene and always have, even when I wasn't practicing Catholic... and now that I am being confirmed and am researching her more from a Catholic POV I feel like her story really speaks to me... So my question is.. what do you think of Mary Magdalene as a saint? a person? Would it be appropriate for me to take her name even though I felt connected with her while I was away from the Church? Or do you think I felt that way because she was calling me home? Please give me some advice... I am new to my parish and I don't know who to talk to there. Especially after that lovely convo I had with the priest I am sure he thinks I am not playin with a full deck!

LolaRae

Asked by LolaRae at 1:38 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Mary Magdalene, is a perfect Patron Saint for you. She has been calling you for a long time.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 4:03 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• thank you, I am curious as to how others see her as well, I know she is a repentant sinner, but my aunt still insists she was a prostitue. may i ask your opinion?
    LolaRae

Answer by LolaRae at 4:46 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• There are many Mary's in the NT. Mary Magdalene was the one that had seven devils removed from her by Christ. She also was one of the Mary's that was at the foot of the cross. In other words it doesn't matter what she was before She Accepted and followed Christ what matters is who she was after. She is one that we all can look to on how to be repenting and turn our backs on our sinful ways by looking to the cross and resurrection. Following God's will not our own and learn to live in peace with who we now are.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:32 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I think its a great choice. Congratulations!

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:39 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I def agree with Oldermomof5. sounds like shes been calling to you for sometime. Go with it! Congrats!!!!!
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 8:42 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I think Mary Magdalene would be a wonderful confirmation name and congratulations.

There are several Marys in the bible and they seem to have been combined into one, but Mary Magdalene was not the prostitute. This article might help: http://www.americancatholic.org/Newsletters/CU/ac0506.asp

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 10:37 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Thanks erdavh. That's what I was looking for. I'm on good pain meds so my brain isn't quite working.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:43 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Thank you all so much for your advice and encouagement
    LolaRae

Answer by LolaRae at 4:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I don't know you personally, but honestly as long as you research your patron saint well and you feel drawn to that person then yes! She was a powerful woman. Mine is St. Brigid of Ireland. :)
    newmom2bgtwins

Answer by newmom2bgtwins at 2:46 AM on Feb. 27, 2010