help need answers

Hi my son was diagnost at 2 and 1/2 years as being on the spectrum and has been getting services (ot and speech and 2 days a week for 3 hours preschool). Since he has been diagnost the extra help from others has been helping him in speaking 2 words together and being able to eat with out gagging and wanting to participate in cirlce time (with music or hand movements). He still in unusual places hides in the corner or plays by himself, make short eye contact, when in trouble will not making any eye contact, agggresive, starting to line stuff up, like routines to be the smae every day. I am just wondering if a child has been diagnose and is making progress could they be tested again and be told that they do not have any type of autism?

magnane

Asked by magnane at 1:50 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They could I am sure it has happened, but honestly I dont think that is where you are headed just from what you describe. Children can however grow , learn coping skills, and have parents who set the environment so that the child thrives.

My son is now 12 plays team sports, interacts with peers, has friends, and is Autistic. Early intervention is key and you have that which is awesome. Keep a schedule this is so important for them it helps keep them balanced and lessens the outburst and anxiety. The more you learn about how to interact, diffuse and redirect your son the better off your going to be in the long run. It is very possible to raise an Autistic child who can seem to only have minor quirks.

At 2 your only seeing the start but as time goes on and they grow and you both learn how to best deal with the world around them you will see some amazing changes :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:06 AM on Feb. 26, 2010