So my son is 9 months.....

I nurse rather than bottle feed. When should I try to get him to hold a bottle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• go right ahead...he's at that age where he can grab things...it might be difficult at first but he'll catch on
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:11 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Why do you need him to hold a bottle? Can he grasp other objects? Like toys? If so, than there shouldn't be any reason to get him to hold a bottle if you don't feed him from one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I want to transition out at about 12 months when I can give him cows milk but I was concerned with how to teach him to use a bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• At 12 months he can start using a sippy cup. He doesn't necesarrily need a bottle. Just give him a bottle with water, breastmilk, or formula in it. If you have to hold it for a while. He should catch on quickly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I would not use a bottle. Just get a sippy cup for him. You don't want to be putting him to bed with a bottle. Cows milk is worse for the teeth than formula. You can start the sippy now if you want.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 8:09 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My oldest went from breast to cup no bottle or sippy cup, and she wasn't messy at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Go right to a cup; no bottle. As a matter of fact you don't have to go to cow's milk at all -- protein and fat is found in lots of food. Frankly, if she still needs milk and If you are uncomfortable with nursing her direct from the breast, some women decided to pump and feed from a cup. Just something to think about.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:32 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Why a bottle? No no no. Sippy cup!! My son could use a sippy at 7 months.. just remove the valve/buy take-n-toss sippy's from Walmart (they are dishwasherable and sturdy) he'll get the hang of it quickly. No need for a bottle ever.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Be careful with the milk transition -- you'll want to do it gradually. And you don't need to use bottles just get a sippy cup.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• if you breast feed there is no need for a bottle start introducing a sippy cup. now my son got bm in a bottle and at 10 mts i switched him to a sippy at 11 mts to whole milk/
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2010