i need advice on how to get my daughter to sleep at a decent hour

Well so far its 3:19 am. My 18 month old daughter is WIDE awake. I'm in desperate need of advice on how to get her to sleep at a decent hour. It all started about 5 months ago. My husband works in the old field and he got switched over to night shift. I think it had alot to do with that. I noticed then that she started staying up later and later. But here lately shes been staying up till 4 sometimes 5 in the morning. To be honest we sleep in till about 11 in the morning. When we stay up till 4 I dont really want to wake up at 7 just to try to straighten it all out. Ive tried I really have but she refuses to get up. Ill bring her to the livingroom feed her and right after she eats she goes right back to sleep and I waste about 30 to 45 minutes trying to wake her back up but nothing seems to work. Im open to any advice from anyone. Please help. Thank

alice.hall

Asked by alice.hall at 4:23 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try lemon balm drops and excercise b4 bed.
    mommymadness30

Answer by mommymadness30 at 4:47 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Well, maybe you could do it the really slow way and keep her up later and later until you move throughout the day and into evening. Stay up later so it is 6am or 7am. The next night 7am or 8am. Then 8am or 9am. Each time you will be sleeping later. And keep going with the slight shifts until she is going to bed at evening/night time.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 5:31 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I think it is time for you to change the way you sleep first. You sleep tell 11am every morning? You know she will eventually be going to school and you and her will need to get up at like 6am or so in the morning. Take out some naps during the day.

Answer by louise2 at 6:48 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I agree with louise. My 18month dd goes to bed at 8pm every night, wakes up between 7 & 8 am. She goes down for her nap at about 11:30 and wakes about 12:30-1pm. She only takes 1 nap. As far as bedtime goes, I put her in bed, sometimes with a sippy cup of water. That's it, she's out like a light in a matter of minutes. If you don't WANT to get up early, then I'm afraid you're going to continue to have this problem.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 7:04 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• you need to put her to bed at 8 (that is what time my 20 month old goes to bed) or whatever bedtime you want. my daughter doesn't always want to go to sleep right away, but she is normally asleep pretty fast. However, since she is fighting you to stay up later, she will probably throw a fit. So, just be prepared. I never put her to bed with a drink or any toys. She finishes a cup of milk before bed. As I said she will fight you, but do not give in. I would let her cry for a little bit while you are getting her back on track. I would also, then start waking her up earlier. The latest my Daughter sleeps into is 9am. if she goes later than that she isn't feeling well or is teething and it makes me nervous. So, maybe start with 9am. Then gradually move it back to 8am. If you need to be up at 7, then eventually get up at 7am. My daughter is my alarm clock. she gets up normally between 6:30am and 8am.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 7:30 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My suggestion would be to change both bedtime and wake time in a gradual fashion until she is where you want her to be. So lets say she normally sleeps from 4am to 11am. Tonight put her to bed 15 minutes earlier and be sure to wake her up 15 minutes earlier. Do that for a few days then try for another 15 minutes. If you try to switch her all at once she's going to fight it really hard. Gradually is the key for some kids. Follow a regular bedtime routine also. When my first was little, I turned the lights low (just had on one lamp) and played slow classical music for about an hour before his bedtime to help him wind down from the day. There was also the normal pj's, teeth brush, bedtime story stuff too. Good Luck.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 12:10 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• my hubby is an EMT and works crazy hours. 8am till midnight 4 nights a week. when he started his new scheduale my daughter did the same thing. she was waiting for daddy to come home and help put her to sleep. i sat down with my daughter at bed time and explained that daddy wouldnt be home and mommy was going to sleep soon too. she did scream bloody murder the first few nights. it was hard but i knew she wasnt wet, hungry, or hurt. adventually she would fall asleep and after about a week she started going to bed on time. maybe if you try waking her up in the morning and doing some exercising before breakfast and maybe a bath to help wake her up then she will stay awake.
    proudmamma01220

Answer by proudmamma01220 at 1:17 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I would try to adjust the time by just a little each day (half hour or so). Also, get her outside, particularly in the morning. Even if it's cold, you can bundle her up and get some sunshine. 20 minutes a day can make a big difference when it comes to sleep patterns. Even eating breakfast near a sunny window will help. Chamomile before bed helps, too. We buy it in a little bottle with a dropper and add some to DD's applesauce or put it directly into her mouth. Good luck!
    RobynS

Answer by RobynS at 7:22 PM on Feb. 27, 2010