should churchs help you when in need?

i use to go to church three times a week not to long ago until i started needing help and no one helped me. when my pasture and his wife needed help everyone was more than willing to go out of there way to help them including me weather it was helping them get ready for revivel or giving them money 100 so the could get food i helped thinking that when i needed the help they would be able to help me. but when i went to them fdor helpp they turned me away. some instaces are: i was looking at an apartment that needed fixed up really bad & i asked my pasture if he could help me hang up some dry wall if i bought everything he needed since thats what he did for work. he told me that i would have to pay him what a normal contract would pay him. Another incident was i had lost my food stamps and had been without food for several weeks and i asked them to fill out a paper stating i had no income & they said no nor did they help w/ foo

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Very Christain of them wasn't it? That's one of things that Christ calls on us to do is help each other. There are other Churches out there that will help whether or not you're a part of their community. Look for help elsewere. In the mean time prayers dear that you get the help that you need.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:24 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Unfortunately churches are just like people - some are good and some are bad, and some actually practice what they preach (in this case, literally), and some don't.

If you are truly in need and they aren't there to help you then I would find a new church, one who understands that God wants us to help each other and take care of each other. (Now, I'm NOT saying this is what you're doing, but we also have to remember that we are not supposed to use our church as a crutch to meet all of our needs without meeting any ourselves, but they are supposed to be there as a support and a helping hand.)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:12 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I'm sorry that your church isn't helping you, but know that there are churches that DO. The church I grew up in helped each other all the time. And we helped anyone that asked in any way we could. It's probably time to look for a different church.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 7:26 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I would find another church, I'm sorry that you went through that. My family needed help before & before we could say anything they had offered Anonymously money & stop & shop cards. I love those people with all my heart! You need to find a knew home to praise god.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• i can honstly say that i never count on anyone wexsp. my old church and i didnt ask for anything except for filling out a paper. ITS really NOT that big of a favor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• The one about the pastor and not helping with the dry wall. He maybe in a labor union and has to be paid for his services. But I do consider that if you ask for help there is no reason that you should be turned away. That is the nature of the CHRISTIAN church. Giving. Find a new church that you do not feel like you are not wanted.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 8:35 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Wow, sorry that happened to you.... trust me most churches aren't that way. Some churches may not help because they can't (not enough coming in etc and especially if they're small) but most will help. I know this from experience.... I was at a church that I went to and served at and my PGE was cut off and they took care of it for me. I'm in a much better financial situation now but the church I attend now is also good at helping the community but not only the church but the people at the church. There are people who are Christians (true followers of Christ who love like Christ) and then there are people who say they are Christians but there lives never show it (I call them church goers).

I would find another church that shows the love of Christ.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• i can so understand what you are going through--i too went to my church for help after i lost my job--my church was really my only support at the time---and i got no help what so ever either--others would tell me it was available but when i asked--got nothing (and it takes alot for me to even ask)--i was also in the hospital and had no one to give me a ride home and they wouldn't even help with that--i struggle with the idea of a "Church" anymore and thought i was the only one who thought churches helped people---it is very hurtful and neglectful in my opinion when you trust in your faith, only to get turned away like that.churches certainly aren't what they used to be
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Wow, my church has a really great welfare program for those in need. It may not help them to live fancy, but it will definitely help them to live.

We also have "compassionate service" committees and similar things run by members called to be in charge of getting other members organized to help. If someone is moving, the strong young guys will be there to help lift furniture. If someone has a baby, dinners will be brought to their door for a week.

Of course we all have to pitch in to make this work. We practice a fast, were we donate money we would have spent on that food that goes to the welfare fund, and we all are encouraged to participate in the service projects. I know I've made a few dinners for new moms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• the pasture owned his own company and i know for a fact that he was not in the union
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Feb. 26, 2010